Holiday Grand Plan 2023...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am starting today!!!
The sun is out, the rain has stopped and it is not too cold so today is the day. Front porch and entry way will be looking fine by the end of the day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas will be a Baked Potato Bar with a 7 layer salad. We need gluten free meals.
That sounds amazing. Can you share your salad recipe?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Week 1 done. Front porch and entryway done today. Will speak with Mum tomorrow and finalise menus for extended family dinner (November), Christmas and New Years.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I will have every floor in the main level of the house clean next week since all the carpet and hard covered floor will be replaced by then. This weekend I will empty the clothes from my DD and my room. I will vacuum the drawers out but will wait to use furniture polish when we move the furniture back into place. The family room, game room and sunroom have everything but one hutch emptied and packed up. I dusted everything as I packed and vacuumed any drawers. All appliances have been moved from the kitchen and laundry room so they are cleaned underneath. I need to clean the backs and sides before they move them back into place. I will also need to vacuum the two fireplace bricks and clean off the mantels. I have one part of a wall to paint and some dry wall to do around the washer and dryer wall openings. I have organized the hallway closet and the main bathroom closet. Need to do the closet across from the laundry area and under the Kitchen sink. If there is enough tile left I would like to put them in there and in both bathrooms.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve officially started here too. This is upstairs week for me. Everything will be done except for polishing the furniture. I currently have to 2 bedrooms and the guest bath finished. Will finish the master bedroom and start the walk in closet and the master bath today.
Wasn’t going to clean next week, had planned to sew. Now I think I’ll do the main floor so I can decorate for fall. I’ll do the kitchen after all my fall food preservation. My husbands office we will do together when he’s in the mood. That will leave the basement and the garage.
I always feel anxious this time of year about getting things done. I’m not sure why.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have one room done, all the closet and drawers. I did the Questions from week 2 and am now making lists using the list of lists I need to do.

Out of state family will be here until the 20th. So will get back into the swing of things on Tuesday. I have and appointment on Monday and will need to put pack away GF items into their bin and clean up from company.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
but I just cannot decide on paper for altering the cover.
My binder has a clear pocket where you can slide a front cover in. I just found a pretty "Merry Christmas" free design, using Google and looking at images only, and enlarged it to fit the full page. Another option I considered was to use the remains of one of my favorite Christmas wrap and add letter cut-outs to say either Christmas 20xx (whatever year it was) or Merry Christmas -- too much work at the time, since I was still employed full-time.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I will be joining you. I am working from home now and set my own schedule so I have zero excuses!
If it’s the Holiday Grand Plan time it must be fall!! I have been participating for 20ish years, but have never completed it. I hope this is my year!!
Welcome, Cathymac2! You're not alone! I've been at it since forever, and have yet to complete it. I look at it as doing something is better than nothing!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That’s my take on it too. Every little bit helps. It’s seems once august hits the days start flying and before I know it thanksgiving is here.
Totally agree that some progress is better than none. I know that I will be working more late August and again in October so need to get scooting with the plan now.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Fall and HGP do go together @Cathymac2 !

Tonight I am going to power wash the front porch decking so that this weekend I can reapply stain to it. While I have the power washer out I will do the siding on the front of the house as well - which is a task I normally do during Front Porch week.

Fingers crossed all goes to plan!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well the front porch and siding on the front of the house is power washed.

The front porch decking is restained.

The cushions to the front porch rockers and washed and hung up to dry.

We made it through the weekend despite a trip to Emergency Vet and my MIL ending up in the hospital with a broken femur.

o_O

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’m sorry to hear about your MIL, broken femurs at any age is tough. Hope ER vet visit was ok. We were frequent flyers to the ER with the boys the last few years we had them. Prayers for your family, human and furry.
I’ve just kept cleaning here, in the mood and on a roll. Need to iron and hang the decorative shower curtain in the guest bath and spot clean the carpet and the upstairs is done. LR needs carpet spot cleaned and it’s done. Dining room needs floors done and husbands junk put away that was in his office. Sitting here waiting on husband so we can finish his office. Office carpet needs spot cleaned too. Will finish the entry way while I wait on him. Depending on how the rest of the day goes will tackle the main floor bath.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I thought I was going to do the guest bedroom today but I just don't have the energy today after having guests since the 16th. I did get most of the stuff put back where it goes. DH did a lot while I was at the doctor's office.
Hung all the laundered linens on the line and have the sofa cover in the dryer now. First time I have washed it and since it was a bit big I decided to put it in the dryer for possible shrinkage...?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Can you share your salad recipe?
In a large bowl layer from bottom to top
1 head of iceberg lettuce chopped
1 package of frozen peas
1 jar of bacon bits (or equivalent of cooked bacon)
1 + 1/2 stalk of celery chopped
1 pepper chopped
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon sugar
1 pound of shredded cheddar cheese.
Let set in refrigerator 8 hours. I just make it a day ahead.

I guess the sugar doesn't count-in the layers. Otherwise, it 8 layer salad. ;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for sharing Jody. After a few more easy and delicious ideas for the rotation.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
1 package of frozen peas
1 pepper chopped
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon sugar

This salad is so good. As I looked at it I’m thinking I might add chopped ham, salami and pepperoni to it.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
1 package of frozen peas
1 pepper chopped
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon sugar

Very similar to my recipe (that I only get to make every couple of years, because it's so big). Instead of the celery and peppers, I've got a layer of diced tomatoes, folowed by a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs. But the celery and peppers would certainly be healthier than the eggs!!!! I also like to throw in a thin layer of diced green or red onion. And my dressing uses 1 c. of mayo + 1 c. of sour cream with the sugar. I like to put the bacon on top, right before serving, so it stays crisp. I've found that is one of those recipes that looks great and you can tweek it to fit your family's preferences. (One of DH's cousins was allergic to green onions, so if she was attending the party, I'd leave the onions out and serve them on the side.)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It is SO funny that you guys are talking about the layered salad because a few weeks ago I hit on doing one of those for the gluten free dinner we will host.

My layer plans were Iceberg/Romaine mix, Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, Chopped Hard Boiled Egg, Chopped Bacon, Diced Red Bell Pepper, Green Onions, Shredded Sharp Cheddar.

Then I plan to top with my Creamy Parmesan Dressing in a thick layer, bringing it all the way to sides of bowl to “seal” in the layered ingredients.