2023 Healthy Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, well done. You are doing great!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Way to go, Mary!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had to get blood work done a month earlier than expected this past week. Much of the high results went down. Some results stayed the same. However, this is still motivating to me. The diet and exercise is making a difference and it shows in the results. I can probably do more to get better results. I've lost an addition 3 lbs. since my posting in June.

The big thing I have noticed is that I feel gross and blah after I eat sugary foods now. I had a slice of pie the other day and regretted as I finished it. I think if I had half a slice, I would have been fine.

Keep on fighting for your health! :) You are worth it!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
After my blood work last week the doctor said to cut carbs and sugar by 50%. That resonated with me. I know I eat a lot of carb and sugar and struggled with the idea of no carb, no sugar dieting. I am not a sugar substitute person as it is sweeter than sugar and I grave it more. So I now make a sandwich with one slice of bread and eat one cookie instead of 2. It is so much easier to do it that way than to figure out what I can an cannot eat a diet plan.

The other thing is I stop moving so much so I have challenged myself to walk (favorite exercise) 30 minutes a day for 30 days. I will weigh, measure, and take photo a before and after and see what results I get. I have been stuck in a yo yo and want/need change things. I promised myself. I have a couple of health issues and am hoping this will help.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I had to get blood work done a month earlier than expected this past week. Much of the high results went down. Some results stayed the same. However, this is still motivating to me. The diet and exercise is making a difference and it shows in the results. I can probably do more to get better results. I've lost an addition 3 lbs. since my posting in June.

The big thing I have noticed is that I feel gross and blah after I eat sugary foods now. I had a slice of pie the other day and regretted as I finished it. I think if I had half a slice, I would have been fine.

Keep on fighting for your health! :) You are worth it!
With my diet of no sugar for 6 weeks, I have found the same regret. Also noticed my hot flashes return with sugar.

Reactions: farmerswife

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
After my blood work last week the doctor said to cut carbs and sugar by 50%. That resonated with me. I know I eat a lot of carb and sugar and struggled with the idea of no carb, no sugar dieting. I am not a sugar substitute person as it is sweeter than sugar and I grave it more. So I now make a sandwich with one slice of bread and eat one cookie instead of 2. It is so much easier to do it that way than to figure out what I can an cannot eat a diet plan.

The other thing is I stop moving so much so I have challenged myself to walk (favorite exercise) 30 minutes a day for 30 days. I will weigh, measure, and take photo a before and after and see what results I get. I have been stuck in a yo yo and want/need change things. I promised myself. I have a couple of health issues and am hoping this will help.
Jody, you can do this! I will say that when I cut my bread, cereal, snack carbs to 15 grams per meal, I was a cranky mess for about 2 weeks. The first three days were miserable as I was going through carb addiction withdrawal. Now that I'm on the other side, it's totally worth the struggle.

As for walking, I've done laps in my house when it was raining or when I was on a catching up with friends/family phone call.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
When we did the Whole 30 eating plan for a month (different times over the years) ... when we read some of the literature or the book on this ... there is a thirty day calendar about what's going on in your body and On Day Three .. It's Called, "Kill All The Things".

LOL

It's the withdraw of all the bad junk ... it's REAL! Oy!! Yeah, you have to get over that BIG hump and then you start to feel better. DH lost 20 lbs ... water weight and junk out!

• Love
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
After weeks of the mental tennis game that goes on in my head-
Get up early to work out, still don't work out. Or don't get up at all. This past week, I did it.
Worked out 3 mornings before work and then last night enjoyed a lovely walk.

I just don't understand why I break the exercise habit and then have to struggle so hard to get back into it. I know it is vital for my mental well-being, besides feeling physically great.
It seems when anything in life goes off kilter, it's the first thing I let go of.

I guess as long as I re-start again, that is what matters.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
That's me to a tee @AnnieClaus and so ... it's been awhile ... and guess what I did this morning finally? My two YT exercise videos!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just don't understand why I break the exercise habit and then have to struggle so hard to get back into it. I know it is vital for my mental well-being, besides feeling physically great.
This resonated with me. I wake up feeling tired and unwell most days, headache and general aches and pains. Going for a walk is the last thing on my mind. I know though that if I get up and get moving I will feel better. It is for me pure laziness.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I guess as long as I re-start again, that is what matters.
Yes, everyday is a brand new day!

I know though that if I get up and get moving I will feel better.
Yes, I think you will. I've found that setting a realistic and acheivable-to-you goal is what works best. Maybe try it in small steps with a 5 minute walk, 5 days a week for a month, and build up gradually.

My two YT exercise videos!
What are the names of the videos you like? I have been doing Classical Stretch (weekly recordings from PBS) from January through mid June. I took a break when I started up with the gardening but started back a couple of weeks ago. I start my day at 5:30 with stretches. I find that I'm more likely to keep up with that because it's easy for me to access on the TV everyday, it's gentle but also challenging enough for my joints and muscles and it's something I don't have to think about too much when I wake up. :D

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I am so thrilled! I've lost 15 pounds so far this year!!! It's been gradual, baby steps.

I committed to getting up at 6 am Monday - Friday to exercise for 20-25 minutes first thing in January. I was consistant with that for the first quarter. The next quarter, I worked on reducing my starch carbs to 15 grams per meal. This didn't include fruits and vegetables. By July I had the 15 grams of carbs routine down pat and the 6 am exercise routine too. I moved my wake up time to 5: 30 am to exercise first thing and then to have another 30 minutes of personal quiet time to reflect, pray, etc. The cravings have diminished over time. I don't feel like I'm missing out as much now because the starchy/sugary foods and bevarages make me feel gross afterwards.

Here I am in the fourth quarter and I have a good exercise and meal routine going on. I am now working on letting go of holiday expectations that I've placed on myself over the years. I'm being truthfully upfront with others and asking for help so that I have more time to enjoy the various aspects of the holidays.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@Holiday_Mom Oh! That's wonderful! And such an inspiration!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, you are doing so well.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Mary- How awesome!!!
SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!

What I like most of all is you took baby steps. You implemented something before going on to the next change.
Very strategic and proved invaluable for lasting change!!!!

Since the beginning of October, I have been doing the Pat Tillman walk or run 42 miles in 40 days.
I have been consistently walking and wow- what a difference it has made. Particularly with my stress level and mental well being.
This is the last week of the challenge and I told myself, "The challenge may be over. Your walking routine is NOT!"
I really need to keep this going. My life Does depend on it.
When I was climbing stairs and walking all over at that baseball stadium I thought, "Keeping your mobility as you age is so very vital."
When a person loses their mobility, their life is really limited.
Made me determined even more to not give up the habit of movement.

Annie

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Since the beginning of October, I have been doing the Pat Tillman walk or run 42 miles in 40 days.
I hadn't heard of this and just read about it. What a wonderful thing to do! I am proud of YOU for walking for 40 days. Keep up with the movement. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

I think finding an activity that I enjoy first thing in the morning has made all the difference. I wake up and I look forward to Classical Stretch. I have tried waking up and doing walking or the elliptical first thing in the morning. It didn't last because I didn't enjoy that early in the morning.

The other thing I learned about myself is that by making exercise the first thing I do in the day, it gets done. There's no excuse. There's no procrastination. No one is fighting for my attention first thing in the morning. A lot of things/people are fighting for my attention after work.

If it is helpful, why don't you check in here after the challenge finishes?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I am so thrilled! I've lost 15 pounds so far this year!!! It's been gradual, baby steps.

I committed to getting up at 6 am Monday - Friday to exercise for 20-25 minutes first thing in January. I was consistant with that for the first quarter. The next quarter, I worked on reducing my starch carbs to 15 grams per meal. This didn't include fruits and vegetables. By July I had the 15 grams of carbs routine down pat and the 6 am exercise routine too. I moved my wake up time to 5: 30 am to exercise first thing and then to have another 30 minutes of personal quiet time to reflect, pray, etc. The cravings have diminished over time. I don't feel like I'm missing out as much now because the starchy/sugary foods and bevarages make me feel gross afterwards.

Here I am in the fourth quarter and I have a good exercise and meal routine going on. I am now working on letting go of holiday expectations that I've placed on myself over the years. I'm being truthfully upfront with others and asking for help so that I have more time to enjoy the various aspects of the holidays.
Nice job! We are in health mode too over here. Normally Autumn is my healthiest time of year so I can be free over the holidays. This year there's been so much travel I'm not where I want to be. :-/. Our entire family is now teaming up! Health mode til the week before Christmas (cuz that is serious cookie week and we have our priorities straight: Cookies for the win!!). Thanksgiving Weekend of course we'll take off and eat whatever.

With DH now retired a very much a morning person there is no such thing as personal time to reflect anymore. I think I could set the alarm at 3am and he'd still start talking! We are working through that. :). This year I've added in trying to trick myself into unconscious exercise.....one thing I've added is morning and nighttime "stretching" on the floor. Half the battle is getting to the floor, right? And that is no big deal if I'm just "stretching". Once I'm down there though I may as well do planks while I'm at it. It works.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Mary-
I do find getting exercise in the first thing in the morning is a key to consistency.

I find when I leave it for after work or the evening 2 things happen:
1. I can't let go of it mentally. It's like a mental OCD. All day long I have a repetitive thought of:
"You have to exercise after work today. Don't forget you are walking after work today."
Drives me crazy!

2. Often other things will crop up that need taking care of and......there goes the plan to exercise!

Early morning there are no distractions, no commitments, nothing to derail the plan to exercise.

With the walking challenge I was able to do a lot of it by taking breaks at work and going on our trail at work that is 1 mile.

Good News- My work is doing a healthy holiday challenge and one of the tasks is steps!!! We get a point for every 4,000 steps.

Annie