2023 Healthy Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been working on getting my health back on track since the New Year. Last year was exhausting and I felt like I was burning out. I took time to figure out how, where and when to find time in my day for exercise, prayer, and creativity. I've been consistent with exercise, prayer and creativity for the last three months and I'm seeing the difference. My clothes are fitting better and I'm feeling calmer. Now I'm working on being consistent with eating healthier.

Are there health goals you made in January? How are you doing with them?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have been cutting out some of the extra calories in my diet. Less mayo on a sandwich, less butter here and there, recipes that are not covered in cheese. I do feel better.

DD started on the Mediterranean diet in Feb. She has lost 10 pounds but her potassium went sky high. This can be a side effect of the diet. I had never heard of that before.

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
You all are doing well. Inspiring. :) I just try a little exercise and eating better, too. Potassium issues with the Mediterranean Diet??? @Ahorsesoul

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
DD and I started going to the gym. Our next goal is to work on our eating habits. We don't eat enough frequently and what we do eat is quick, easy foods= not very healthy. We both need to start eating way more veggies, fruits, whole foods. I'm most likely going to have to do an entire overhaul on my diet anyway because of all my gut/intestinal issues and potential gallbladder stuff, but we'll see what happens with that. I do have IBS so need to research a good diet for that, what I should and shouldn't be eating. And then i'll have to figure out what works for me.

I have been leaving around contract time daily since we started the gym and it's been nice and good for my mental health. I am slowly working on things like that and it's been great. Doing things that make me happy or that I love and refiguring out what those things are. They kind of get lost in the shuffle when you wear so many hats, as we women tend to do.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You all are doing well. Inspiring. :) I just try a little exercise and eating better, too. Potassium issues with the Mediterranean Diet??? @Ahorsesoul
When DD’s K level was 5.5 (6 being extremely dangerous) I was looking for reasons for it being high. We do not eat a lot of high potassium foods. But I read the Mediterranean diet can be a cause. Since that is the only thing we changed in her eating habits we are not following it now. Still trying to have her eat more veggies. Her biggest problem is her brain injury. She never thinks she is full so now we have strict rules about when she can eat. She just had a royal fit because as she finished her breakfast shake at 9:05 she was screaming she wanted a snack. I made her wait until her snack time at 10. In group homes they would have fed her a snack just to keep her quiet so she has learned ”If i yell long enough i will get what i want”. So some tough love needs to be in place. Update: the starving DD is still eating her snack of half an apple and 12 mozzarella pearls and it is almost 11. She got it at exactly 10. She can eat an entire dinner meal in 7 minutes is she wants to. But nap time is after snack. Lol

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
At the beginning of the year I was under a lot of stress at work and one thing I notice, when I'm stressed, I do NOT take care of myself. I won't eat all day and then grab a bag of chips and a diet coke.
And I was not moving at all.

Had a Dr. Appt in February to check my blood pressure- bottom number still not where it should be.
I knew it was time to get going.

I have made a lot of improvements- a lot of walking (walked 55 miles in March) drinking water (almost a gallon a day), eating better (5 servings of veggies a day).
Now it is time to dial it in with eating. I'm Soooo much better but need to be even more consistent.
I have such a full social calendar, it's always, dinner here, dinner there, someone's b-day. I have to figure out strategies to handle all of these things.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Proud of you all for being so consistent with being healthier. Still something that I am struggling with.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have been cutting out some of the extra calories in my diet. Less mayo on a sandwich, less butter here and there, recipes that are not covered in cheese. I do feel better.

DD started on the Mediterranean diet in Feb. She has lost 10 pounds but her potassium went sky high. This can be a side effect of the diet. I had never heard of that before.
Great job, Deirdre! I wonder what foods in that diet are high in potassium.
Doing things that make me happy or that I love and refiguring out what those things are. They kind of get lost in the shuffle when you wear so many hats, as we women tend to do.
So true, Jess. I'm glad you are doing that for yourself.
I have such a full social calendar, it's always, dinner here, dinner there, someone's b-day. I have to figure out strategies to handle all of these things.
I thought I was doing fine until March hit and then it was like every day of every weekend was filled with some event revolved around food and drink. Needless to say, my doctor was not happy when my bloodwork came back. So now I think I'll eat a full healthy balanced meal at home before going out in hopes that I won't be tempted to eat and drink as much.

I'm not diabetic yet but I am pre-diabetic. I am trying to have 15 grams of a starchy carb [bread, cereal, corn, beans, rice, pasta, quinoa, farro, oatmeal] per meal. I'm on week 2. Last week was a wake up call to how many starchy carbs I eat per meal. For reference, a slice of bread is 13 grams, two French toast sticks is 17 grams and a quarter of a bagel is about 14 grams. Beans count as either a carb or a protein but not both. Last week was rough but I got through it. I was happy with the way I handled meals at Easter too. But by then, it was day 9, and my body was adjusting.

jampss - What kind of exercise do you like to do?
Katrina - What change would you like to make?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have two different friends I walk with periodically. Then I have a YT video routine of stretching, walking a mile, and free weights for arm workout.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Since keeping the starchy carbs to about 15 grams per meal, I've lost 6 pounds. That's about a pound a week. Each week gets easier as I learn to find better substitutes that will fill me without craving starches.

I was really proud of myself on Saturday. It was my first outing since reducing my carbs. I ate at home before going out and then when I was at the college reception, I had 3 meatballs. I passed on the bread so that I could have dessert - one chocolate chip cookie with coffee. :D

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Sunday I had the "enoughs-enough" moment.
Last year due to stress and whatnot, my exercise routine plummeted, my eating habits deteriorated... The things that would've helped me handle stress, I sidelined because of stress!

Sunday I was drinking a beer and eating chocolate. My face felt like it was on fire because I have rosacea; both alcohol and sugar makes it a million times worse. I suddenly thought, "why am I doing this to myself?!"o_O

Gone cold-turkey on sugar, dairy and beer. Can't bring myself to quit caffeine.
Unfortunately the exercise part has been put on hold, as I've sprained my ankle :rolleyes:

All the prior posts are very inspiring and motivating. Thanks for this thread!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have been there, too, @Whusky .... I appreciate you sharing. I will snack on crap when feeling stressed and I too was like "why am I doing this to myself?" So, of late ... not snacking (or buying) that stuff and eating more whole food for meals. Whew ... daily struggle.

Reactions: Whusky

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I have been there, too, @Whusky .... I appreciate you sharing. I will snack on crap when feeling stressed and I too was like "why am I doing this to myself?" So, of late ... not snacking (or buying) that stuff and eating more whole food for meals. Whew ... daily struggle.
I'm on day three and I'm feeling it today. I found a couple of KitKats in the cupboard and kept staring them. I remedied it by throwing them into the back of the highest corner of a pantry cupboard (only my husband can reach there!).

We can do it!

Reactions: jampss and luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Sunday I had the "enoughs-enough" moment.
Last year due to stress and whatnot, my exercise routine plummeted, my eating habits deteriorated... The things that would've helped me handle stress, I sidelined because of stress!

Sunday I was drinking a beer and eating chocolate. My face felt like it was on fire because I have rosacea; both alcohol and sugar makes it a million times worse. I suddenly thought, "why am I doing this to myself?!"o_O

Unfortunately the exercise part has been put on hold, as I've sprained my ankle :rolleyes:

Great job! I recently heard a quote that gave me a "A Ha! moment. I'll paraphrase it: Snacking is not nutriontional. Snacking is emotional.

I am adding more fruit to each of my meals to help with that sugar craving. For instance, I love orange marmalade. I got 5 peeled oranges, put it through the blender, brought it to a medium boil and then added 3 tablespoons of chia seeds. The chia seeds made it "gel" although not like pectin would. I let it cool. I put a half cup to the side for this week and then froze the rest in an ice cube tray for another time. So now, I have my "orange marmalade." Have fruit verses the fruit juice has the fiber which helps with the insulin spike.
I'm on day three and I'm feeling it today.
You can do this! Eating lots of vegetables at meals helped me to feel full longer. At night, I like to "reward" myself by slowly drinking a cup of decaffeinated tea. Right now, I'm in a fruit flavored tea kick.

Reactions: jampss and Whusky

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Great. job on stopping sugar, dairy and beer. No need to stop exercising. Chair exercises can still be done.

Reactions: jampss and Whusky

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Chair exercises can still be done.
Ha! I was just reminded of this earlier this morning and I wanted to say the same thinghere!

I have a friend who had chemotherapy a few years back. She tries her best daily to get out for a walk and to garden. However, there are days that are just tougher than others. She does chair yoga those days. She sent me a video of a 5 minute stretch she does.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Great job! I recently heard a quote that gave me a "A Ha! moment. I'll paraphrase it: Snacking is not nutriontional. Snacking is emotional.

I am adding more fruit to each of my meals to help with that sugar craving. For instance, I love orange marmalade. I got 5 peeled oranges, put it through the blender, brought it to a medium boil and then added 3 tablespoons of chia seeds. The chia seeds made it "gel" although not like pectin would. I let it cool. I put a half cup to the side for this week and then froze the rest in an ice cube tray for another time. So now, I have my "orange marmalade." Have fruit verses the fruit juice has the fiber which helps with the insulin spike.

You can do this! Eating lots of vegetables at meals helped me to feel full longer. At night, I like to "reward" myself by slowly drinking a cup of decaffeinated tea. Right now, I'm in a fruit flavored tea kick.
I absolutely adore marmalade, and that recipe sounds very interesting. I don't have a blender though; I wonder if there's any way around that?
Thank you for your support.
Great. job on stopping sugar, dairy and beer. No need to stop exercising. Chair exercises can still be done.
You know what? I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF THAT. embarrassing, huh? And Pilates/non-standing yoga could work too. The sprain has caused a bit of nerve irritation, so I'm feeling it in my hamstring and into my lower back at times. I'll work around it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I don't have a blender though; I wonder if there's any way around that?
Maybe chop up the peeled orange and then put that with all the juices from the cutting board into the pot?

Reactions: Whusky

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Mary- My go to dessert is fruit.
Right now I'm into sliced strawberries with balsamic glaze. Can add a tiny bit of sugar.

Annie

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I reached my first goal weight! It's the weight I had following my first baby and kept until 3 years ago when my weight started to go up and down. I am so happy. It's been a real struggle to bypass food that is offered in social settings. I'm going to keep at this.

I have a wedding this weekend. I'll be mindful of eating more protein before the wedding since most appetizers are heavily on the carb side. I'm debating about the champagne toast since that's liquid carbs. I've been staying away from all types of liquid carbs these two months.