Word of the Year-2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Hard to believe we are at the verge of another new year to explore!

What word are you thinking about to define the year 2024 in your life?!

I was thinking, "Attack," because I want to be proactive and go for the things I want in my life.
I tend to hold back, question, and procrastinate. Although I have made quite a bit of progress in the procrastinate area.

Attack does feel a bit harsh so I was trying to come up with another word that could convey the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have been giving some thought to this over the past few weeks. I'm leaning toward the word non-judgemental. So many times, as of late, things have gone kind of sideways and it's because of a values difference -- between me and someone I counted as a close friend, or between one of my sisters and me. For example, a good friend bails on plans that have been in place for months on end for what I perceive is a lame excuse. Or, DSis#3, who lives closer to DMom than I do, can't seem to find a couple of hours to check in on her once or twice a month, even when asked to cover for DSis#2 during her surgery period. DSis#3 works in healthcare 3-4 days a week, but thinks we should pay someone to check in on DMom, to set up her meds for the week, but won't do it for her or take her on a weekly shopping trip to pick up essentials, it's like she can't be bothered to spend a couple of hours with her DMom. DSis#4 only offers suggestions that are convenient to her, but don't take into account that she lives in a different part of the country and DMom can't travel alone any more (and I wonder if DMom would even recognize her if she walked through the door ... DMom sees her name when she phones, but hasn't seen DSis#4 in over 9 months). When something like this happens, I tend to pass judgement, which often contributes to tension and my holding a grudge. Not healthy, not pretty, not who I want to be.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lori,
This is very hard when dealing with elderly parents and multiple siblings.
There always seem to be a couple that are just not involved. There are 6 sibs in my family and we really went through this with my parents.
I did a lot and saw my parents a lot and would get very angry with my other sibs when they just seemed too busy.
Two things helped me:

1. A friend of mine pointed out to me, "Annie, some people just can't handle dealing with this kind of stuff."
I never took that into consideration before.

2. I realized that when it is all said and done, each of us will have to look into our own eyes in the mirror.
And the only one I was responsible for was my own self and what I did for my parents and the time I spent with them.
I knew I did not want to have any regrets after they were gone. What each of my siblings have to contend with in that regard, wasn't for me to bear.

It was very difficult, though.
I hope this helps.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Attack does feel a bit harsh so I was trying to come up with another word that could convey the same thing.
Along the same lines.....advance or initiative. Convey the same type of message but a bit more gentle.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, I am so glad that you started this thread. I agree, weren't we just choosing words for 2023?

My word for the year will be value.

I feel that especially in 2024......
I need to value the job that I have and the financial freedom it gives me.

I need to value the farm, the work DH has done to provide us with a comfortable home for our future.

I need to value the time I have at home, the fact that I am able to be at home some days, I cannot waste the time I have.

I need to value the money that we have, make the most of it, be mindful of what I do with it, do not waste it.
This also means valuing what we have in the home, use it up, don't waste things.

Most of all I need to value the time I have with friends and family. My tribe is very small but intensely important to me, I am blessed.
This also includes all of you here whose friendship means the world to me.

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori,
This is very hard when dealing with elderly parents and multiple siblings.
There always seem to be a couple that are just not involved. There are 6 sibs in my family and we really went through this with my parents.
I did a lot and saw my parents a lot and would get very angry with my other sibs when they just seemed too busy.
Two things helped me:

1. A friend of mine pointed out to me, "Annie, some people just can't handle dealing with this kind of stuff."
I never took that into consideration before.

2. I realized that when it is all said and done, each of us will have to look into our own eyes in the mirror.
And the only one I was responsible for was my own self and what I did for my parents and the time I spent with them.
I knew I did not want to have any regrets after they were gone. What each of my siblings have to contend with in that regard, wasn't for me to bear.

It was very difficult, though.
I hope this helps.

Annie
Thank you for that, @AnnieClaus . That's kind of where I'm at in terms of dealing with all of this. I just need to remember to not be so quick to judge them, and instead recognize and remind myself of exactly what you said. Hugs!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I was thinking about the lines of one little step per day... be it in health, exercise, friendship, relationships, creativity, personal developpement. working on it a little more but it'll be something like that.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I did one of those "first words you see" on FB and got - strength, self care, connect and miracles. They all speak to me in some way

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Debbie, all great words.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did one of those "first words you see" on FB and got - strength, self care, connect and miracles. They all speak to me in some way
So Strong Self-Care will Connect you with Miracles.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Wow! It's that time again? I will have to think on this.
Procede was my word in 2020. One definition is "move forward, especially after reaching a certain point."
When something like this happens, I tend to pass judgement, which often contributes to tension and my holding a grudge. Not healthy, not pretty, not who I want to be.
So relatable! I'm the first to admit that I'm very judgemental of others who don't see eye to eye. Sometimes it's a valid reason for being quick to criticize the way things are being handled. Don't discount the validity of being judgemental. Other times, it's more like a different perspective that I never would have considered if I didn't ask.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My 2024 word is "complete." I start books, crafts and house projects but never quite complete them. It's become quite evident that I need to be honest with myself about whether I can complete something if I start it, and if it I can complete it, whether it will be completed in a timely manner.

In the New Year, I will be going through the house room by room and noting what is not completed. I want to set up goals for either completing the books, crafts or projects. If they can't be completed by the date set, then I will let them go and move on without guilt.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, a wonderful word. I look forward to travelling with you throughout the year

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did well with my 2023 word, clear. So 2024 will continue along with clear more out the door in 2024. I want to move out things that are breakable since DD is the demo girl. She can break the unbreakable things. So for her safety I need things removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jampss and halimer

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I think I will stick with "Attack."
Although it sounds a bit harsh, I do want to be Forceful with myself and Attack certain areas in my life.

A cw said this yesterday and I liked it:
"Let's soar in 2024!"

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, glad that you decided to stick with your word. Look forward to reading about your year ahead. I love let's soar in 2024

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Someone that I introduced this idea to asked me today about my word and I didn't know. I enjoyed reading everyone's ideas. Mindfulness just game to mind ( no pun intended) I have gained so much weight last year and spent $ on things I didn't need.
I want to be mindful with My time, what I eat, how I spend (need to pay off debt again...)