Veteren's/Rememberance day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Last year we hit the parade they had here in town, not sure what we're doing this year. I've also had many family members in the military and I, myself, was in the military as well, as is my husband right now. My grandpa passed in 2003 so I think alot about him on Veteran's day, he served in WWII I believe and was at Battle of the Bulge.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My boys don't have to recite it in school as I did, so I have them do it at home. ;) We attend services and make the trek to the War Museum in the capital the weekend before.

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
I make sure to phone, email or send a quick postcard to everyone I know who is a Vet, thanking them for my freedom and risking their lives for us.

Also, I make sure that every flag I own is in good repair and displayed.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
My grandfather served in WWII and is buried at the Veteran's cemetary. I always make it a point to drive there and place flowers and just sit and think of the wonderful times I had with him. He's been gone since 1981 and it still hurts. We were very close. Living members who served in WWII as well as the other members of the armed forces hold a ceremony which I like to watch.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
My DS7 bought us our Poppies at the mall today. The man was so nice he put them on the boys for them. I'd like to take DS7 to the senataph (sp?) service tomorrow but it's supposed to be really miserable weather.
When looking for children's books for rememberance day, I had a really tough time! Then DS had a book fair at the school and I found this one(the illustrator is from Coldbrook-15 min.s away and there is an illustration of our senataph.)

http://www.scholastic.ca/titles/apoppyistoremember/

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
This year is a special one for us. We are going to the War Memorial for thier ceremony. My grandfathers WWII uniform, metals, MIA and discharge papers are going on display. There is also a brick in his memory going into the walkway. My uncle doesn't like the idea that he has had everything in a box on his closet shelf since my grandfather passed away 34 yrs ago now. He called my mom, aunt and other uncle and told them what he was going todo and they all thought it was a good idea. It was promised that everything would come back to a family member if they were taken down. My kids will also go to the ceremony at the cemetery where my father is and replace the flag on his grave with 6 we picked up one for each of his grandchildren. I won't be able to attend this one due to having to work but my dads best friend will take the kids. We will also call my other grandfather.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Yes, after Mass we walk to the cenotaph for Remembrance Day ceremonies.