Time to stock up

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
As the Christmas season winds up a reminder to take stock of what you may need in terms of supplies for next year.
Do you need tape, bows or ribbons? How is your paper and gift bag supply, do you need any gift boxes?
Time to make a note in your planner of what you may need, now is a good time to stock up while shops may have items at reduced prices.

If you are OK for supplies make a note in your planner for closer to the wrapping parties for 2024.
Until then......

Supplies.jpg

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lots of RED and GREEN items will go on clearance. Red items will fit well with Valentine's Day, and Green will work for St. Patrick's day. I shop for red and green M&Ms on clearance, then separate them and use each color in my holiday baking for Valentine's and St. Pat's. Same with red cups, napkins, and paper plates, and green ones.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lots of RED and GREEN items will go on clearance. Red items will fit well with Valentine's Day, and Green will work for St. Patrick's day. I shop for red and green M&Ms on clearance, then separate them and use each color in my holiday baking for Valentine's and St. Pat's. Same with red cups, napkins, and paper plates, and green ones.
A great hint Lori. By thinking outside the box you may get a jump on holidays in the new year.
I have been stocking up on a few items that will be used in Easter baskets. Hot choc mix, mini marshmallows and butter cookies are all items that I have purchased for that reason.

NYE items are already on clearance here, a great time to stock up for this year and next.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went to Walmart on the Thursday evening before Christmas and was surprised to see that almost all of the Christmas stuff was gone. I was in Aldi today and there was nothing left of Christmas. Either there is less and less stock being put out in general or there are more people moving into the area and buying it up quickly.

I have made my list of things to buy but since nothing is available here right now, I will wait to get it until next October or November. We are completely out of Christmas wrapping paper. I do have brown craft paper and Christmas ribbon that I can use to get a jump start on wrapping if necessary.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do have brown craft paper and Christmas ribbon that I can use to get a jump start on wrapping if necessary.
Oh, I do like this idea. I can imagine decorating the brown paper with some Christmas tree stamps or other fun designs.

I too was shocked at the fact that there was not too much left in the shops so soon after Christmas. Luckily I did a great stock up of paper and gift bags after Christmas last year that will see me through for quite a while.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I went to Walmart on the Thursday evening before Christmas and was surprised to see that almost all of the Christmas stuff was gone. I was in Aldi today and there was nothing left of Christmas. Either there is less and less stock being put out in general or there are more people moving into the area and buying it up quickly.
Consider other kinds of stores. My Menards had really good Christmas wrapping paper this year and had plenty of it. Sometimes your big-box hardware stores will still have theirs on clearance until after the start of the New Year.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I too was shocked at the fact that there was not too much left in the shops so soon after Christmas.
I've noticed that the seasons change very quickly in retail and it you wait too long to buy for a holiday everything is gone before the day itself has arrived.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I was out yesterday and Michael's still had a good selection of gift wrap for 60% off. I noticed ribbon, but no premade bows anywhere. Some gift bags left too. I prefer the papers from Current Catalog, so I will be ordering from them today. They have quality paper and huge rolls.

There was Valentine's Day stuff everywhere and I said to M that by the time I'm ready to buy it, it will be gone.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I need to check out current again. I never buy from them anymore.
I finally put away my recycled tissue paper and boxes for the year. I have plenty of paper, tape, tags and boxes for next year and the year after, and the year after that lol.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I checked my stash and have more than enough wrapping paper for 2024.
I gave my niece a ton of gift bags in the Fall and with the bags I got this Christmas, those are set as well.

I just ordered this from Amazon as I have not been enjoying how my paper, bags, bows, etc. are stored-
On a dedicated shelf in my laundry/storage room. I can slip this right under my guest room bed and pull out as needed. Will keep a pair of scissors and tape in there as well.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, that is a great organiser. Everything in one spot. Very useful.
There was Valentine's Day stuff everywhere and I said to M that by the time I'm ready to buy it, it will be gone.
I am seeing the trend now adays that most items are gone well before the actual holiday. If you don't buy it when you see it it may be gone.
There does not seem to be much stock left over at all after the holidays.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I agree that holiday stock is gone sooner after the holiday. There was mostly Valentines out and very little Christmas remaining. I was hoping to find a Christmas shirt or sweater or two. There were only ugly sweater collections left, not what I was looking for.

I think I'm okay on next year for wrapping supplies. Maybe some gift bags needed, but I found that I didn't have sizes I needed this year, so maybe wait and purchase the particular size I need next year???

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We only have a few ornaments left at my work.
Faye, did you not get as much stock, or did you clear it earlier?
Why is there not as many items after Christmas?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ

I have made my list of things to buy but since nothing is available here right now, I will wait to get it until next October or November. We are completely out of Christmas wrapping paper. I do have brown craft paper and Christmas ribbon that I can use to get a jump start on wrapping if necessary.

I think it's less stock in the stores. Usually Walmart is bursting at the seems with all the Christmas Merchandise but this year the shelves were not nearly as full and looked more spread out to fill up space.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think it's less stock in the stores. Usually Walmart is bursting at the seems with all the Christmas Merchandise but this year the shelves were not nearly as full and looked more spread out to fill up space.
I got the same feeling when I was in KMart before Christmas. There just did not seem to be a much as in previous years. Even online I could not really see much there.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I posted this somewhere, but can't find it. Early in the Fall when I went to buy ribbon and a bow for my SIL's birthday gift, there was little available, both at Target and Party City. The Party CIty manager told me they were having difficulty getting their shipments, but didn't know why but said other stores were reporting the same. Being that there was so little gift wrap and wrapping supplies on clearance, her early warning kind of held true.