Simple food hacks.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
This is probably a silly question, but I was so proud of myself yesterday when I added the drained peach juice from the can, reserved from a recipe that just wanted peaches, and added it to my ice tea !

I would love to hear other simple ideas so I can say ...."Why didn't I think of that !"

Laurie

Simplify

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Use a cheese grater to grate boiled eggs into a recipe that calls for boiled eggs, unless it needs to be chunky pieces.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I added a tin of crushed pineapple and the juice to a basic cake mix. It was delicious.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have a banana bread recipe, handed down through at least 3 generations, and it’s always a little on the dry side — I suspect from changes over the years to. the ingredients during commercial production. A friend suggested that I add a spoonful or two of sour cream. Worked like a charm!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Drinking dill pickle juice is also good for relieving cramps too.

I have 2 containers in the freezer. One is for any left pasta sauce, by the time the container is full it's enough for whole other dinner. I always have an opened jar of sauce in the frig, after a few days I dump the rest into the freezer container,
The other container is for veggies. Any left over veggies from dinner not being used the next day (lunches/leftovers) go into the freezer container. When it's full I use is for either a soup or casserole.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Freeze bananas when they are past their prime.
Ready for banana bread- pull a few out, they defrost very quickly.

A little bit of juice or iced tea left- freeze in ice cube trays.
They won't water a drink down!

Annie

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
If you have a recipe that calls for buttermilk and you don't have any in the refrig (I rarely do) and don't want to buy an entire carton for just one recipe, simply pour 1 c. of milk and add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar. Give it a quick stir and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Once it thickens up a bit, you're ready to go. If I'm making multiple loaves of soda bread, I'll buy a carton. If I'm only making a single loaf for myself, or need some for chicken, I'll use this substitute recipe.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Freeze bananas when they are past their prime.
Ready for banana bread- pull a few out, they defrost very quickly.

A little bit of juice or iced tea left- freeze in ice cube trays.
They won't water a drink down!

Annie

I do that too with the bananas and I will freeze any left broth that didnt get used in a recipe in ice cube trays. Nice way to add a little extra flavor to a dish without having to open a whole new container of broth.

Make extra pancakes, flash freeze them and then store in a freezer bag in the freezer. Perfect for a quick breakfast during the school mornings for the kids.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
What agreat thread!

If I steam a vegetable (carrots, green beans, beets, etc.) I save the "water" in a container in the freezer. I also save the liquid I pour off of canned vegetables, even olives. I use one freezer container and keep pouring the liquid on top until it's full. I use it for soups, etc. that call for vegetable broth or water.

On St. Patrick's Day we make corned beef in the slow cooker. I freeze the juices to use in ham and bean soup. It's the best!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
If I have leftover pasta ---spaghetti or any type of noodle--- we will open a can of stew tomatoes and warm that up together. Or use a can of rotels. If I have leftover canned corn I will sometime add it in there also.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Leftover rice freezes well. Portion it into freezer bags. When you need it, pop it into the microwave in the bag for about 1 1/2 minutes. Fluff it around in the bag. Add 30 second to 1 minute intervals until it's heated through. It's as if it were just cooked.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I always save my ham bones and any trimmings off the ham. Vacuum seal them and toss in the freezer. I use them to season my baked beans.
I may have to try that. I usually save and use mine to make ham and bean soup or split pea soup.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I read that you save all the vegetable peelings, half onions etc and place in freezer. When full you can boil up and make a vegetable stock for soups etc. Might have to try this one.