Planning for Fall Freezer Cooking...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Asiago Baked Olives

No defrost needed! Serves 10

2 cups grated Asiago
1.25 cups flour
½ cup butter + 2 T if needed
1 tsp Worsch
1/8 tsp cayenne
40 black or green olives - your taste

Freezing Day: In large bowl, combine all but the olives to make dough. Add more flour or butter to dough as needed. Roll dough into balls a littler larger than size of olives. Push an olive into each ball so it is covered completely. Place olives on baking sheet and flash freeze.

Place frozen olives on baking sheet and cook 20-25 minutes at 400.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
AuntJamelle, thank you for starting this thread. I think it is a great way to get everyone in gear planning ahead. These are some of our family favorites. Like you, I plan to have a stocked pantry and freezer so that I can actually enjoy the holidays and focus on fun holiday activities and family instead of living in the kitchen. I am the primary caregiver for my FIL so I cook 85 meals per month average (including full breakfast meals) so although this list looks long it barely covers 1 month of lunch and dinner meals.

1. Seafood Gumbo
2. Chili
3. Vegetable Beef Soup
4. Stuffed Bell Peppers
5. Smothered Chicken
6. Smothered beef steak
7. Shrimp Creole
8. Red Beans & Sausage
9. Spaghetti and Meatballs
10. Shrimp & Okra Gumbo
11. Spinach stuffed chicken
12. Pork tenderloin
13. Smothered Sausage in tomato gravy
14. Lima beans w/ham
15. Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
16. Split pea soup
17. Loaded baked potato soup
18. Ritz chicken
19. Catfish Coubillion
20. Crawfish Ettouffee
21. Sheppard's Pie
22. Beef Stew
23. Chicken pot pie
24. Jambalaya
25. Lasagna
26. Crawfish Pies
27. Chicken Alfredo
28. Seafood Pasta
29. Mexican Casserole
30. Hamburgers
31. Beef Tongue
32. Smothered chicken giblets
33. Stuffed flounder
34. Smothered white beans and ham
35. Smothered shrimp and okra
36. Beef Roast
37. Pork Roast
38. Stuffed Pork Chops
39. Enchiladas
40. Stuffed Manicotti
41. Meatloaf
42. Hot wings
43. Crab cakes
44. Smoked Brisket
45. Grilled chicken
46. Shrimp Fettuccine
47. Smothered liver and onion
48. Smothered sausage and potatoes
49. Northern beans and ham
50. Chicken & Okra Gumbo
51. Beef, Shrimp, Chicken Fajitas

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'll have to write some of these meal ideas down!

I like to buy my ground beef and boneless chicken in bulk and prepare just the meat for the freezer. I boil the ground beef and then freeze it for Mexican inspired dishes, sloppy joes, etc. I pour the greasy water aka broth into my gravy cup and place in the refrigerator until the fat rises.

I do something similar with the chicken. After it's done boiling, then I either cut slice it or "shred" it using the paddle on my Kitchen Aid mixer. Then I freeze the chicken for recipes calling for sliced/diced/shredded chicken.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Feeding the freezer isn't just for holidays................it's for calm in life's inevitable times of chaos.

I had prepared some grilled steaks, baked beans, chicken pot pie, sheppard's pie, meatloaf, smothered northern beans with ham, pasta salad and a few other things that I put into the freezer just last week while I was in a cooking mood one day. As it turns out those same meals were a lifesaver this weekend when everything that could go wrong did, at least twice. I was still able to put home cooked delicious meals on the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner Friday, Saturday and today with minimal effort. The chaos is under control but I cannot imagine what I would have done without my freezer meals. I'm taking care of my 83 year old terminally ill FIL and fast food isn't an option.

Something to consider is your side dishes as well. I had cooked rice in the freezer, green beans smothered with bacon and onions, asparagus seasoned and sautéed with olive oil and garlic, black eye peas smothered with sausage and a few more. The point is that many veggies take as long to prepare as entrees, so get some of your sides freezer ready as well. It was really nice to heat and eat entire full course meals in a rush.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Preach it, ejagno!!! :)

A freezer is truly a girl's best friend! lol

I need to take some time to review my fall freezer plans again. Between HGP, camping trips, the last of canning season and LIFE it's likely that I'm being overly ambitious. But maybe not. Just need to mull it over.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Something to consider is your side dishes as well. I had cooked rice in the freezer, green beans smothered with bacon and onions, asparagus seasoned and sautéed with olive oil and garlic, black eye peas smothered with sausage and a few more. The point is that many veggies take as long to prepare as entrees, so get some of your sides freezer ready as well. It was really nice to heat and eat entire full course meals in a rush.

You are right, Ellen. I hadn't given in much thought until my teen girls wanted to make a Mexican theme dinner as one of our vacation dinners. They wanted to make rice and all I could think was at the end of the afternoon on the beach, the last thing I want to do is make a big dinner. So we looked into the idea of freezing a rice dish ahead of time. It worked well. I can see making big batches of rice is in my future. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for the recipe AJ!

Ellen lots of good ideas. Forgot about the stuffed bell peppers and I love those, so will do that.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I need to go through this and get some ideas. I did a bit of cooking last weekend to get food in the freezer. I work till 8 consistently now so if the boys want food I need to do better prepared. Hopefully I can do some more this weekend. Maybe after most the team leave I'll have time to write down stuff to make again.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been stocking up on skinless, boneless chicken breast this week as it been on sale really cheap, last time it was this cheap was 6 months ago. I plan on using a lot of the chicken for freezer meals. My goal is to spend on day during labor day weekend to make several freezer meals.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was blessed with leftovers from two meals I cooked last week. Those went into my freezer meal stash. We also had small quantities of several things to freeze for taking for work when we go back in a couple of weeks. DH says he's going to commit to taking his lunch almost every day of the week. We'll see if that lasts...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I picked up a couple large zucchini's at a local farm stand. They were 2 for $1. Last night I was able to make a double batch of zucchini bread from just one zucchini. I made 2 regular loaves and 4 mini loaves. Most of them went onto the freezer. I plan on picking up more zucchini this week to make more zucchini bread and muffins to freeze. These will make perfect breakfast muffins and after school snacks once school starts back up.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Cooked and froze 8 lbs of ground turkey this morning. Local grocery store has ricotta and mozzarella on sale so I plan on picking up several of each so I can spend a day making freezer meals.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Aggy, thank you for sharing those awesome labels with us. That was a great find.

I just had to laugh. DH is cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner and now it seems I've got him thinking ahead also. He took out enough of the base to use for a second meal. He was so proud of himself and called me in there to show me that he has it cooling for me to label and put in the freezer. I'm so proud of him for doing this to support me in stocking my freezer.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
You're welcome ladies. Way to go to your dear hubby ejagno! :)

After I posted that, I started thinking about dishes I would like to make ahead of time. So I got started working on them today. I haven't precooked anything because I don't want to turn the oven/stove on (it's 77 in my apt right now and I have the ac on 70), but I do have a few meals prepped and in the freezer.

From a 3 lb roll of ground beef, 1 lb I seasoned and added the ingredients for a taco ring I plan to make. With the 2nd lb I made burger patties. And the 3rd lb I mixed with a lb of ground sirloin and the other ingredients to make hot-dog sauce. I was going to put together the ingredients for pineapple jerked chicken thighs, but I forgot the pineapples when I was at the grocery store the other day.

I bought a family size pack of chicken breast too and with a few pieces I'm going to make several single serving size roasted garlic chicken white sauce pizzas.

Other meals I want to make: jambalaya, chicken & biscuit casserole, crab cakes, stuffed shells, salmon cakes, a pot of collard greens and garlic mashed potatoes. I wish I was a soup lover but I'm not. I came across a lot a soup recipes when looking for easy freezer meals. I don't know, maybe I'll try one and if I don't want it, give it to my parents. They love soup. I would like to try to make lobster bisque. I love, love, love lobster bisque. I got a 3lb roll of ground turkey that will get split in half for Cajun lasagna and chili. You probably notice some of these dishes are a little spicy. I love spicy food.

Also I have plans to make a few egg rolls. I can't eat Chinese anymore but I still love eggrolls. Already have the frozen shrimp and other ingredients, just need to get the wrappers.

Several weeks ago I made Greek marinated chicken with rice, and oven baked chops with small red potatoes and green beans. Mmmm they were so good. They may go on the list too for freezer meals.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Everyone's plans sound delicious!

I picked up another 8x8 glass baking dish at Walmart today - I'm down to one at home and wanted at least two for the freezing of casseroles, etc.

I've also been working at buying items from the non-perishable section of my Master Holiday Grocery List. I've been looking for Mounds candy bars for DH's favorite cookie recipe I'll be making and freezing this fall and finally found some at Walmart!!! So one more thing crossed off the list!

My first freezer session is scheduled for 9/3 and I have my grocery list prepped with the items I need to be sure to get between now and then.

In the meantime, I need to spend some time straightening up the pantry and the freezers - making as much room as possible for the freezer cooking to come!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well over the weekend and Monday I added pineapple jerk chicken to the freezer as well as the lasagna, chili, crab and salmon cakes, eggrolls, the stuff for crockpot chicken cheesesteaks and gyros. I am so proud of myself. I cannot believe I actually did it.