HGP 2023 - WEEK 2 - Question Week/Living Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got my master bedroom done today. I was going to take 2 days and do it but once I got started I couldn't find a good stopping point. It looks good. I change they way I hung the drapes, the bed cover and remembered I have some pillow covers that would work in the room. With the completion of this room I now have my upper level done. Next week the living room and winter stock up shopping as well as a new haircut. Oh some fall decorating too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
  • Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family? Christmas for us is just a relaxing time for family. We have a very small family and we enjoy getting together. We try and organise get togethers for extended family earlier in the season to free up space for the kids to do their own thing.
  • How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas? We are not a spiritual or religious family so this aspect is not a real consideration
  • How involved is my family in the Christmas preparation? My Mum and I do most of the prep because we have time to do it and we enjoy it. We set aside days for wrapping and baking and we make the main meals. The rest of the family will help when we ask.
  • What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself? I will admit that the family are very casual with Christmas, happy to go with the flow or to give it a miss. It is more important to me than it is to them. We do get together for a meal and sometimes DD will ask if we want to go look at lights etc. They are not great planners, more spur of the moment people.
  • Why do we observe the traditions we do in our house? Our traditions have become very fluid as the kids have become adults. We still open presents and then open stockings later but other than that we sort of play it by ear now and DH and I are happy to fit in where we can.
  • How important is an elaborately decorated house, homemade gifts or food, to my feelings about Christmas? Over the years this has become less and less important. When the kids were little I love all the hustle and bustle of a fully decorated house and would make crafts throughout the year. I have pulled right back on this is and find that for me simple is better.
  • What would my ideal Christmas be like? My ideal Christmas would be different to the ones that we celebrate now. I would do an amazing meal for 20 or so people. Leading up to Christmas we would have people visiting. Carols by candle light and various outings would be on the list. Very similar to how it was when the kids were little. They were very good times.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Today I will tackle the living room. DH usually vacuums the couch completely, but if he doesn't do it this weekend then I will. There is a dog bed that needs to be vacuumed as well. Jack uses it now, but it was Perry's. We used to also have a huge dog bed in front of the fireplace, but DS thought Jack had peed on it so it has been hanging out in the garage for quite a while and I think we'll toss it with the trash this week. It is so big and takes up so much space, it's been nice with it not being in the living room area.

Cleaning Tasks:
* Wipe down blinds
* Clear off, wipe down, and reorganize two white tables on either side of fireplace
* Dust wall art
* Dust mantle and put leaf garland for fall up
* Side table by couch- dust and remove clutter
* Sweep and mop floor
* Wipe down around Chester the robot vacuum

Questions:
Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family? I think Christmas time is for anything that makes your heart happy. I tend to like to be at home with my family. I don't like to travel during Christmas at all. We have a family get together, usually the weekend before Christmas. We share a meal and do a White Elephant game and it's nice to see each other. I don't mind getting together for a work party or cookie exchange or something, but I absolutely do not like to travel outside of my area. There's just something about being in your own space.
How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas? None. We are not a religious family.
How involved is my family in the Christmas preparation? The kids will help decorate. They may help with the baking if they are around. Eli is the most likely to help as he loves to make cookies.
What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself? My kids still love the Elf to visit. We like to go look at lights, decorate the house and tree. I am a big tradition person, so if it happens once I always feel like it should happen the next year and be a tradtion. LOL My kids get that trait from me as well.
Why do we observe the traditions we do in our house? Some things that we do carry over from my childhood. Such as a box from Mrs. Clause on Christmas Eve.
How important is an elaborately decorated house, homemade gifts or food, to my feelings about Christmas? I wouldn't say we decorate elaborately, it's more like what we have time to do, but it still looks festive and cozy. I love to make homemade cookies and treats- to me that says Christmas.
What would my ideal Christmas be like? Snow! My family around a roaring fire decorating the tree to Christmas music with hot chocolate laughing and having a great time. We would watch holiday movies wrapped up in blankets. There's so much more, but I can picture that in my head. :)

Holiday Prep:
* Begin a list of present ideas for immediate family
* Look into preordering stamps
* Not hosting this year so just need to plan out what I want to bake- make a list!
* White Elephant gifts for family get together (find out dollar amount)

Last edited: