HGP 2023 – WEEK 1 – List Week / Front Porch

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
She has told me and husband that she'll bring her own food over
I think that is wonderful of her! If you could provide her with a few extra treats that she could enjoy that would be great.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
So, I've been trying to sort out my doorbell issue. I have Nutone (looks to be the transmitter), and a Honeywell wireless box. The doorbell is a Honeywell, so I'd assumed it was wireless. The first store I went (Menards, a regular place I shop) to to see about the doorbell was useless. Came home, took a another look, discovered that the doorbell (outside) is actually hardwired. Took some pictures, and went to another store (Lowes, closer and Menards did not have much of a selection; they're rearranging things). Lowes was more helpful and said I could just use a regular hardwired doorbell. OK, bought a nice one that fits my outside scheme. Played around with the wireless unit a litle more, and discovered that, even though it's hard wired, the doorbell works the wireless system, not the Nutone hardwired one. Haven't a clue why the previous owner hardwired the doorbell. But, upon further research, that unit only works with the companion doorbell, which is no longer available. So, it's either replace the whole unit and doorbell, or live with what I've got. Found the manual online and it explained that it could be installed with some kind of tape that was included in the original packaging, or you could remove the top of the doorbell and afix it with screws. Trekked over to the local Ace Hardware, rather than the big-box stores I'd previously been to, because Ace sells screws, etc. by the piece, not only packaged. So for $0.60, my doorbell is fixed. Today I return those parts I didn't need to Lowes. Should have gone to Ace in the first place! The guys in there are always so knowledgable and helpful.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
cannot eat gluten or lactose, has cut back on sugar, and is very fussy in what she eats.
Well I'm not sure what you are up against with the "fussy" part ;) But! I do have a small insight into GF and DF holiday meals. One of SIL's has Celiac's and at times she also needs to avoid dairy.

For holiday meals where she will be present I will do something like the following:

Appetizers = Veggie Tray with a "normal" dairy based dip and also a container of a yummy hummus flavor; Deviled Eggs are also dairy free - free of lactose anyway; A simple salad with choices of DF dressing (like Italian) and "regular" style dressing is also an easy choice

Main Course = Roasted Meat of some kind - Turkey, Ham or Pot Roast

Side Dishes = For her I make sure there is a DF Green Veg dish of some kind and Mashed Potatoes (for the potatoes, you can mash them with chicken stock instead of milk or cream OR use an unflavored unsweetened Cashew milk or a bit of both plus seasonings) I cook and mash the potatoes then divide some out for her. I add DF options to hers and the dairy deliciousness to the rest!

Bread = I use Pinterest to find DF and GF bread/roll recipes. The GF flours that can be swapped 1 for 1 with normal flour make things very easy nowadays!!!!! OR you can buy GF rolls at the store too! SO much easier!

Dessert = There are tons of GF and DF dessert recipes. I highly recommend Swerve brand of sugar alternative. ESPECIALLY the Swerve Brown Sugar. That stuff is GOOD - I try not to use a lot of it all the time but it a really nice thing to use sometimes!

I've made the following recipe a couple of times - the blog author has a TON of info for making it GF, reducing the sugar, etc. I didn't have to worry about sugar when I made it so I can't speak to that part of it. BUT - as GF and DF cakes go - well I could have had the "regular" dessert but I ate two pieces of this!

https://www.texanerin.com/dairy-free-chocolate-cake/

Also agree that she may be more comfortable bringing her own food!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
She pointed me to this web site, which has great ideas, recipes, etc. for those who have dietary restrictions. It looks like you can also filter by cooking method. https://www.cottercrunch.com/
I will be checking this out!!! Thank you! One of our friends is Vegan so this will come in handy!!!
So for $0.60, my doorbell is fixed. Today I return those parts I didn't need to Lowes. Should have gone to Ace in the first place!
Well Ace IS the place! For helpful hardware folks! :D

HGP Progress:

In a word? Minimal! Lots going on here with DMIL and with friends from CO visiting. I did get one big window in our room done. Tried to do the other window in DH's office but a bookshelf is blocking the way for me to open the window to clean the outside of the glass. DH says he will help move it over a bit but we just haven't thought of it when we've had time.

Plan to keep working on windows the rest of the week! There are plenty more I can get to!

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Good week here. Front porch and windows are done. Was going to do the flower beds but husband said absolutely not. We have a ton of spiders and he doesn’t want me to get another spider bite. He will call the landscaper to come out to clean. Works for me. Sunroom is finished. We are all decorated for fall, summer is all tucked away. Will call to get the chimney cleaned tomorrow, ran out of time to do that today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I also would like to spend some time planning a week of light - simple - easy meals for the week immediately following New Years. By that point we are always more than ready to leave off rich holiday foods!
This is something that I fell down on last year. I just didn't plan for that week between Christmas and NY and had hardly anything in the house. This year I have added simple items to the menu for after the leftovers have gone., Quesadillas, fresh fruit salad, chicken, beetroot and feta salad.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Well I'm not sure what you are up against with the "fussy" part ;) But! I do have a small insight into GF and DF holiday meals. One of SIL's has Celiac's and at times she also needs to avoid dairy.

For holiday meals where she will be present I will do something like the following:

Appetizers = Veggie Tray with a "normal" dairy based dip and also a container of a yummy hummus flavor; Deviled Eggs are also dairy free - free of lactose anyway; A simple salad with choices of DF dressing (like Italian) and "regular" style dressing is also an easy choice

Main Course = Roasted Meat of some kind - Turkey, Ham or Pot Roast

Side Dishes = For her I make sure there is a DF Green Veg dish of some kind and Mashed Potatoes (for the potatoes, you can mash them with chicken stock instead of milk or cream OR use an unflavored unsweetened Cashew milk or a bit of both plus seasonings) I cook and mash the potatoes then divide some out for her. I add DF options to hers and the dairy deliciousness to the rest!

Bread = I use Pinterest to find DF and GF bread/roll recipes. The GF flours that can be swapped 1 for 1 with normal flour make things very easy nowadays!!!!! OR you can buy GF rolls at the store too! SO much easier!

Dessert = There are tons of GF and DF dessert recipes. I highly recommend Swerve brand of sugar alternative. ESPECIALLY the Swerve Brown Sugar. That stuff is GOOD - I try not to use a lot of it all the time but it a really nice thing to use sometimes!

I've made the following recipe a couple of times - the blog author has a TON of info for making it GF, reducing the sugar, etc. I didn't have to worry about sugar when I made it so I can't speak to that part of it. BUT - as GF and DF cakes go - well I could have had the "regular" dessert but I ate two pieces of this!

https://www.texanerin.com/dairy-free-chocolate-cake/

Also agree that she may be more comfortable bringing her own food!
Thank you so much for this!

Thanks everyone for the ideas and links. DH took his mum food shopping yesterday and paid close attention to what she was buying, so we know what treats to get in.

Reactions: Lori K