Grocery list for Christmas 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum and I had our annual planning day yesterday and we came up with a plan for 2024.
Mum and I have been sharing the baking and meal prep for the last 20 years or so. It makes buying the groceries and the prep a lot easier and a lot more fun. For example for Christmas dinner, I buy the Turkey, she buys the ham. I do the pasta salad, she does the potato salad, I do one dessert and she does the other. Anything that is to be used at Mum's is stored at her house. She has a cupboard specifically for Christmas/Holiday foods. Anything that I am storing here goes on the very top shelf of a cupboard in my laundry.

We will be paring down things again this year, we find we are just not needing as much as we have done in previous years. There is typically just 4 of us so we are all for making the day a fabulous one but also by making it as easy as possible. We have discussed changing the menu and we all decided that we are perfectly happy with what we offer but will cut back a little on the amount. We generally use any leftovers for Boxing Day and then the following day so get 2 or 3 meals out of what we make.

Baking:
Condensed milk (X)
Milk arrowroot biscuits ( )
Coconut ( )
Cocoa ( )
Cooking chocolate (X) Stored in freezer
Choc chip cookies to crush for fudge (X)
Choc chips for fudge (X)
Candy canes (X) Leftover from last year. To be crushed for chocolate bark.
M&M's (X) and gummy bears (X) for chocolate bark.
Sprinkles (X) Still have plenty after Christmas '23
Freckles (X)
Butter (X) Stored in freezer
Cooking margarine (X) Stored in freezer
Fruit mince mix ( ) This is already proving to be hard to find
SR flour ( )
Plain flour ( )
White sugar ( )

For meals: Not sure what we will be doing for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day breakfast. It depends on DH and I plans.
Turkey breast ( )
Bake at home bread rolls ( )
Tinned corn (X)
Tinned pineapple pieces (X)
Tinned beetroot (X)
Dried pasta (X)
Ranch dressing ( )
Bacon ( )
Eggs ( )
Jelly crystals (X)
Cheese cake mix (X)
Long life custard ( )

Drinks:
Sparkling Apple juice (X)
Ginger Ale ( )
Lemonade (Sprite)( )
Juice for punch ( )
Coke/Coke no sugar ( )( )

Christmas Eve Basket: Not sure what the plans will be for this year. Depends on where DH and I are living. Will purchase items and sort it out later.
Block of chocolate (X)
Savory crackers (BBQ Shapes) ( )
Savory snacks Cheezels etc ( )
Popcorn ( )
Little bottles of drink (X)(X)
Mixed lollies( )malteasers (X)

New Year's Eve: Not sure what the plans will be for this year. Depends on where DH and I are living. Will purchase items and sort it out later.
Non alcoholic cider (X)
Soft drinks ( )
Fortune Cookies (X)
Frozen cheesecake/lemon meringue pies ( )( )
Chips/Cheezels/Shapes etc ( )
Mixed lollies ( )

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Drinks:
Sparkling Apple juice (X)
Ginger Ale ( )
Lemonade (Sprite)( )
Juice for punch ( )
Coke/Coke no sugar ( )( )
If you're buying well in advance, be sure to try one of each a month or 6 weeks before Christmas. I found out the hard way this year. Carbonated beverages do NOT last as long as they used to, not only plastic bottles, but cans, too. DSIL opened a Diet Coke (left over from a Fall get-together) and it was flat. One of my other guests works for Coca Cola and said "Yeah, they go flat pretty fast nowadays. We gotta rotate inventory all the time.". So no soda for my guests this year, and I've just dumped more than a 12-pack, mixed Sprite, Coke, Diet Coke, and Dr. Pepper. All went flat within about 12 weeks.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Josh has also told me that matzoh can go stale, believe it or not!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For example for Christmas dinner, I buy the Turkey, she buys the ham. I do the pasta salad, she does the potato salad, I do one dessert and she does the other. Anything that is to be used at Mum's is stored at her house. She has a cupboard specifically for Christmas/Holiday foods. Anything that I am storing here goes on the very top shelf of a cupboard in my laundry.
That's a great idea! You and your mother have some great memories. :)

I bought less food this year and we still haven't used it all. Part of it is due to a last minute menu change and another part is due to receiving a fresh meat and cheese platter as a gift which meant it had to be consumed within a few days.

Tomorrow is our undecorating party so I will make cocktail franks, bacon wrapped stuffed dates and a meat and cheese tray with jams and crackers. I will poll the family in a few days and get their take on the food amounts for next year.

Carbonated beverages do NOT last as long as they used to, not only plastic bottles, but cans, too.
I wonder why that is. Hmmm... Maybe it's different ingredients or a different bottling process? So far, I haven't noticed it flat from the moment it has been opened except when I had Covid. :oops: I've turned flat sodas from sitting out on the counter into ice cubes for my water. It's one way of getting the taste of soda without all the sugar at one time.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
If you're buying well in advance, be sure to try one of each a month or 6 weeks before Christmas.
I have found this as well. Not sure why bottles seem to go flat much quicker. I look at the use by dates on these and notice that they don't have a very long use by date anymore. I generally buy the soft drink around November and it is OK.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have found this as well. Not sure why bottles seem to go flat much quicker. I look at the use by dates on these and notice that they don't have a very long use by date anymore. I generally buy the soft drink around November and it is OK.
We had several cans either empty or leaking In their box. Seems to me the cans are thinner. I can now squeeze them flat where as years ago I needed a can crusher to do the job. And my hands have lost a lot of strength since my last stroke.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
One year I tried to stock up on sodas for the holidays at 4th of July- there are great soda sales around that time. Yup, they went flat.

Katrina- You are off to a GREAT start!

Reactions: Minta and Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have a SodaStream and have been using it for years!

Sits right on the kitchen counter and is used almost every day.

Of course I drink a lot of soda.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a SodaStream and have been using it for years!
We have one too and so do the kids. I just bought DSIL some of the flavourings as a Christmas gift.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Chipping away at the list.
I have divided what I need to buy between the shopping days that I have in the year. I think we have 21 fortnightly shopping days. left.
There is at least one Christmas menu item on each of the pages on my magnetic shopping list.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I need to work on my list so I can start shopping especially the non-perishable items like foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper. Going buy them in bulk at BJs but going wait until they have coupons available for them. I have enough now to hold me over for a bit.

Reactions: halimer

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper.
Good reminder about those things that are often not considered part of holiday shopping.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have notes in my planner when to start looking for things. My stuff is more short term shelf life. I know I’m going to bake less again. Last year I did some extra cookies, things that I was hungry for. I vacuum seal and freeze everything so they won’t go to waste but we don’t need a ton of cookies.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
especially the non-perishable items like foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper.
This is such a good reminder. I need to look at foil baking trays for the turkey.
I also need to set aside some bottles in case we make jams or orange cordial. I will make a note in my planner

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There are some items that weren't available today, condensed milk, beetroot and the brand of tea bags that I wanted. Have added them to the next weeks list.

Reactions: halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am keeping an eye on the baking goods etc that are around for Easter and see if there is anything that I can buy now and save for Christmas.