Emergency Preparedness

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
We had multiple fires in my area yesterday. Evacuations and everything!
They opened the Highway right when we were ready to go home.
Then another Highway was closed with more evacuations!

I instantly thought of Katrina's "Emergency Pack up supplies."
My niece was in the "Set" zone- meaning "Get ready to go."
I texted her and asked if she had a plan if they had to evacuate and offered my house.
She said they pulled their camper out. I have a whole empty lot that is part of my property and offered
for them to bring the camper there if need be.

After it was all over, I texted my family and said, "We need to get emergency plans in place."

Also, I was at work when all of this was happening. What if I got stuck?
What if we all got stuck? We have bottled water and I have a bit of food.
Need to get a few cans of stuff. Tuna, that type of thing.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What if we all got stuck? We have bottled water and I have a bit of food.
Need to get a few cans of stuff. Tuna, that type of thing.
This is such a valid point. I do not know what I would do if I was away from the house. Will need to ponder this.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
As you may or may not know I love to read dystopian apocalyptic fiction.

There is something called an EDC or an Everyday Carry Bag. This is what you should have with you at all times. If you look this up on line there are many sites to go to that list what various survivalists recommend for an EDC bag. I'll just cite one to give you and idea of what's available. https://techwriteredc.com/what-are-edc-essentials-the-must-have-list-for-everyday-carry/

I have a bug out bag. When I go into the city I take a large purse and some but not all EDC items.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
My years worth of back-stock was lost in 2020 from multiple hurricanes. It was heartbreaking but came with valuable lessons as well. My home canned food in jars as well as all three upright freezers literally exploded. Empty jars with lids on magically filled with water. Mylar bags are not rodent proof. Food in cans rust in our tropical climate. I felt so defeated because every known way to preserve food and store things had problems.

However, once the chaos calmed I was able to begin thinking realistically and without a doubt bad things happen but the odds of multiple MAJOR catastrophes hitting almost simultaneously is a rarity and hopefully not likely to hit again in my lifetime. So, all I can do is my best which I've concluded is multi layered storage. If it goes into a mylar or sealed bag it's then put into a jar or heavy tote. Acquiring items is easy. Using it "first in-first out" is paramount to keep date sensitive items from going bad. Remember, lotion, hand sanitizer, cosmetics, toothpaste and other health & beauty items have expiration dates as well as food. Cash is king however once the initial event settled cards only were accepted because cash became a liability for the business owners when banks were not open. Nothing in my kitchen was more valuable than my hand can opener for weeks. I could write a book after losing my home in Rita then 15 years later to Laura and then deciding to build a much stronger hurricane resistant barndominium to have it lost while loaded on the 18 wheeler to be delivered during Ida.

Three long years of living in a camper makes you realize just how little "stuff" you really need to live comfortably. I've become a master of the Instant Pot, Electric Skillet, Blackstone Grill, convection microwave oven and commercial smoker. Just a couple of weeks ago a refinery near my home was hit by lightening causing a fire and evacuation. Thankfully it was contained but this just goes to show that anything can happen at any time. I was on my way to work so what I had in my SUV was what I had available until the evacuation order was lifted. I was grateful that it was lifted by the time I got off because with the moving I'd emptied everything out of my vehicle.

It's humanly impossible to prepare for every single possible event. Prepare for the probable threat in your home/area the best you can and call it a day.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
When we were both working we had several alternative routes planned to get home. They avoided the highway (which is where everyone migrates to) and the streets that have on and off ramps. In 25 years I used a route once during a major storm. It took a while but atleast I wasn’t stuck on the interstate that was locked up with accidents.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for this Mary. The news reports are saying it will be a bad fire season because we have had some Winter rains. Time for me to double check everything

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I admire all the preparedness information here, but honestly, it makes my head hurt!! I can only read a little at a time. I don't mean this in an ugly way at all. Just being open and honest.

We haven't ever had wildfires, but I do think about what to do if we did. We don't usually get much wind damage from the hurricanes, but we do have power outages sometimes. We're as prepared in advance for that as we can be. The winters are pretty mild, so if something major is coming, we prepare just in case it comes to fruition. I do, however, keep water, food, and a blanket in my car year round. Most of our important papers are in a lockbox at the bank. I have duplicates here at home. We are in the fallout zone for a nuclear power plant. I've read about the preparedness for that. It's daunting, and I don't know if anyone could be fully prepared for it. If God's ready for me, He'll just have to take me on that one, I'm afraid. Although, I have tried to do some of the things I've read. The "good" thing about the hurricanes and winter events is there's some forewarning time. Tornadoes...how can one prepare for that, other than preparation for no power, water, or gas, but no home...that will put us in Ellen's shoes. Two good things about the winter events if we lose electricity is our stove and water heater are gas.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
@missjane, I totally understand, especially when I live in the midwest in a metropolitan area. We don't get the severe weather that coastal areas get. But, if there's one thing I can share, it's not only the natural disasters we can prepare for, it's the human and personal "disasters" we all may face. Although I grew up in a more rural household and learned canning and pantry preparedness at my GM's knee, it wasn't until the last 10 years or so that I really looked at its importance to my own personal situation. And, that's where I think we all need to look, as each of our situations is unique.

For me, I'm not a "bug-out bag" prepper, but I maintain some semblance of emergency preparedness to assist with local and personal emergencies, and to help me make the best of my finances, by stocking up when there's a great sale. Aside from perishables, I could probably live comfortably on my freezer and pantry for 3-6 months. In the past couple of years, my "stash" has helped me when I experienced --
  • 2014 -- sudden and unexpected loss of a healthy and vibrant spouse -- essentially emotionally paralyzed for a couple of weeks, followed by big time anxiety and financial stress (loss of 50% of his pension) and uncertainty of how I'd be able to survive my then-current lifestyle as a single-income household, including my mortgage, home equity loan, transportation, and utilities, even when excluding $$ spent on food.
  • 2017 -- gallbladder surgery meant no lifting, limited movement for a couple of days
  • 2018 -- broken elbow (while on vacation), limited use of my primary arm, including no lifting/carrying anything over the weight of a magazine, including groceries, a gallon of milk, dog food, etc. Even a half-gallon had to be carried left-handed (and up a flight of stairs, so multiple trips if I had more than one bag). During those 8 weeks in a sling and 12 weeks of therapy, my shopping was for essentials only.
  • 2019 -- broken wrist, same side and same issues as above, though 8 weeks only, no physical therapy required
  • 2019 -- retirement and financial changes when switching from bi-weekly salary to monthly SSI
  • 2020 -- Covid shutdown -- I live 3 blocks off a major 6-lane road, and it was eeriely quiet for the first couple of weeks. Even in my suburban Chicago area, online ordering for curbside pick-up was limited and became even more difficult, with order fulfillment sometimes 4-5 or more days out. Luckily, I had just done a major re-stock because I had family and friends over for a St. Patrick's Day get-together that Sunday. During dinner, my DDs phone went off, notifying her of the news and work-at-home requirements for the next 2 weeks, which turned into 2 years.
  • 2022 -- major (local) power outage during prime shopping time and the few stores that remained open went cash-only. I was thankful for the stash of assorted bills and change I keep in my safe; consider one pill bottle for each denomiation of coin (I don't keep pennies in there), singles, a few fives and tens ... so, in an emergency, you can pay for essentials in cash, if need be.
  • EDITING TO ADD -- 2023 -- returned from overseas travel and tested positive for COVID the morning after I got home. Sequestered at home with what I had on hand.
Durring all of these non-weather-related events, I was thankful I could pull from my freezer and pantry for sustanance, and had what I needed on hand, rather than having to run out and get things like a cold rememdy, pain reliever, or something to soothe my soul when I most needed it. One thing I did learn -- stock up on cold rememdies and cough drops before you need them.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A reminder to look at what you might need to have on hand for your upcoming snow season.

As part of HGP I double checked all emergency totes and we are ready to go if something were to happen. I also remebered to pack a little cash.
Annie's thoughts about what to do if we were away from the home struck me so my personal back pack with underwear, bras, socks etc is now stored in my car. If I am out I will have it and if I am home it is already packed.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
In the past couple of years, my "stash" has helped me when I experienced --
  • 2014 -- sudden and unexpected loss of a healthy and vibrant spouse -- essentially emotionally paralyzed for a couple of weeks, followed by big time anxiety and financial stress (loss of 50% of his pension) and uncertainty of how I'd be able to survive my then-current lifestyle as a single-income household, including my mortgage, home equity lone, transportation, and utilities, even when excluding $$ spent on food.
  • 2017 -- gallbladder surgery meant no lifting, limited movement for a couple of days
  • 2018 -- broken elbow (while on vacation), limited use of my primary arm, including no lifting/carrying anything over the weight of a magazine, including groceries, a gallon of milk, dog food, etc. Even a half-gallon had to be carried left-handed (and up a flight of stairs, so multiple trips if I had more than one bag). During those 8 weeks in a sling and 12 weeks of therapy, my shopping was for essentials only.
  • 2019 -- broken wrist, same side and same issues as above, though 8 weeks only, no physical therapy required
  • 2019 -- retirement and financial changes when switching from bi-weekly salary to monthly SSI
  • 2020 -- Covid shutdown -- I live 3 blocks off a major 6-lane road, and it was eeriely quiet for the first couple of weeks. Even in my suburban Chicago area, online ordering for curbside pick-up was limited and became even more difficult, with order fulfillment sometimes 4-5 or more days out. Luckily, I had just done a major re-stock because I had family and friends over for a St. Patrick's Day get-together that Sunday. During dinner, my DDs phone went off, notifying her of the news and work-at-home requirements for the next 2 weeks, which turned into 2 years.
  • 2022 -- major (local) power outage during prime shopping time and the few stores that remained open went cash-only. I was thankful for the stash of assorted bills and change I keep in my safe; consider one pill bottle for each denomiation of coin (I don't keep pennies in there), singles, a few fives and tens ... so, in an emergency, you can pay for essentials in cash, if need be.
Lori, you've been through a lot over the years and overcame many obstacles along the way. You should be proud of your hard work and determination to get through. :)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, you've been through a lot over the years and overcame many obstacles along the way. You should be proud of your hard work and determination to get through. :)
Thank you for recognizing that. Add to that list 2023 -- returned home from travel to Ireland with COVID. Had been away 17 full days, and I was going nowhere for the next week. Thankfully, I had an extra bag of dog food in the closet or pup would have starved until Amazon could deliver.

Hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years already. My hope in sharing this was to illustrate that not all "emergency preparedness" is for hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and wildfires. There are other potential emergencies that we can (and should, IMHO) prepare for. I'm in the midwest in a metropolitan area with probably 10 grocery stores within 5 miles and, yes, we need to be prepared, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou and halimer

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thank you for recognizing that. Add to that list 2023 -- returned home from travel to Ireland with COVID. Had been away 17 full days, and I was going nowhere for the next week. Thankfully, I had an extra bag of dog food in the closet or pup would have starved until Amazon could deliver.

Hard to believe it's been nearly 10 years already. My hope in sharing this was to illustrate that not all "emergency preparedness" is for hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and wildfires. There are other potential emergencies that we can (and should, IMHO) prepare for. I'm in the midwest in a metropolitan area with probably 10 grocery stores within 5 miles and, yes, we need to be prepared, too.
Watching what unfolded in the aftermath of Katrina scarred me and I was nowhere near New Orleans. I had four little ones at the time. That forever changed the way I thought about being the caretaker of this family during an unexpected event.

Along those lines of unexpected events, I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey's idea of debt-free living. He has a guide for saving for an emergency fund. The guide is about saving to cover costs for unexpected, necessary and urgent events that happen.

Reactions: luludou and Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
You are all so right about being prepared!

New York is prone to hurricanes, blizzards and earthquakes - yes, earthquakes - we are on the Ramapo fault - as well as labor strikes, supply line disruptions and the occasional terror attack - God forbid!

If I get a new shoulder next year that will require a lot of preparedness of the non-natural-disaster kind.

Reactions: Lori K and luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My hope in sharing this was to illustrate that not all "emergency preparedness" is for hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and wildfires. There are other potential emergencies that we can (and should, IMHO) prepare for. I'm in the midwest in a metropolitan area with probably 10 grocery stores within 5 miles and, yes, we need to be prepared, too.
Lori, you are quite right. An emergency is any thing that is unexpected and out of the normal, any unforeseen circumstances.
A lost wallet for example may be considered an emergency.
I personally like the idea that I am as prepared as I can be. I don't think anyone can be absolutely prepared for every single scenario but a little bit of thought and prep is a big thing if it makes you feel a little less anxious. Taking an hour or so to get myself set up makes me feel so much better so for me it is worth it.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Gas leaks and chemical spills happen too.
Totally agree!!! As do strikes and the fall-out from strikes. When a trade union goes on strike, other unions often won’t cross a picket line. (Hubs was an electrician, and saw it happen every few years.) And with newer “just-in-time” inventory practices, fall-out with other related companies will happen sooner rather than later. There is no $$$ coming in when a worker goes on strike; residual workers will face lay-offs and may/may not be able to get unemployment (hubs often could not). Heard an interview with someone in the auto industry this morning on our local news radio and they said dealerships shifted from “just in time” to “just in case” inventory a couple of months ago, giving them maybe 6-8 weeks of the most-often used parts, but some parts providers and other non-dealership repair facilities may not be able to easily get what they need. For a family with workers in that or a related industry with little to no safety net, a prolonged strike could be devastating. It’s these other emergencies that we need to consider.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
New York is prone to hurricanes, blizzards and earthquakes - yes, earthquakes - we are on the Ramapo fault - as well as labor strikes, supply line disruptions and the occasional terror attack - God forbid!
And I forgot to mention flooding due to heavy rains. At this point we have gotten close to 6" in parts of NYC and LI and have several hours more of rain to go.

DH and I are safe and sound at home with a well stocked fridge and freezer.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My nieces live in NY. I checked yesterday with one of them. They were fine but this morning I talked with my brother and one niece had to vacate their apartment because of an apartment fire above them. Guess their ceiling has gotten wet from fire department so they moved out to stay with her sister just down the block.

Reactions: Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
They were fine but this morning I talked with my brother and one niece had to vacate their apartment because of an apartment fire above them
It's always something.

Reactions: Lori K