Countdown to your special event!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I've noticed much stress peeping into my life, and it's NOT FUN. I've also noticed how every
time I think of an upcoming activity, I get a smile on my face and I actually look forward to something.

So, I wanted to start a thread where each of us does our own countdown to the next thing we're looking forward to. Describe the event, then how many days you have left before the big day. When the event comes and goes, there could very well be another one coming soon. After all, we are all busy with fun plans during the holidays.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Nursemomtothree's countdown to ornament day: 4 days

On Saturday, our family will take our annual trip to Hallmark and pick out our new Christmas ornaments - one for each child, and a Santa one for DH and myself. We've gotten a new ornament every year since we got married, and started the children with "my first Christmas" ornaments. The children's ornaments will go with them when they leave home.

After picking up those, we will head to The Melting Pot for afternoon dessert.

I'm so excited when I think about this.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
26 DAYS till my Cousin Christmas Party..Most I havent seen in years and 1 that I have just reconnected with... So, I am the oldest in this state and we have 2 that live in California, that NONE of us have seen in 40-50 years, so if I can find them to send an invite, I will, but im sure they wont make it.. They are both men and one of them is ACTUALLY the oldest of us... So, here is the scoop... 1 is in jail, 1 is in (well truthfully we dont know) somewhere and 1 is somewhere else.. these 3 have real problems, 1 boy, 2 girls and none of us know where they are at all, all from the same Mom... So, they are out too.. That leaves 2 boys from my uncle, 2 boys from another uncle, 1 girl and 1 boy from another aunt and me and my sis.. so 18 of us really to be here counting spouses, even though 2 of the boys may not be married right now, none of us are sure.. WOW sounds like your typical dysfunctional family... So, we are ALL between 56 and 48, very close in age. My Dads side of the family and again, we use to be VERY close, ALL of us when we were very little... but when my Grandmother died in the 60s, that was it.. I miss some of them very much... SO<<<< I have decided to pull rank and have them all come for a party... Dec 5th.. My sis and my 1 cousin that I have reconnected with lately are going to help me with the food...
This week, Im going to make my invitations and send them out by the weekend... Then work on the house, but of course this means ALL my Christmas decorations have to be going FULL force by then and we go away for Thanksgiving weekend, so it will be tough... I need a strict schedule and a plan to pull it off and look like the Pulled together one of the bunch !LOL.... So, thats my Special Event.. The really good thing is, by Dec 6th.. All my house should be in great shape and I should be able to sail thru the rest of the festivities !!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Great idea for a thread! I love me a good countdown!

My event is DH's family Thanksgiving celebration, this year on November 21. That's a week from this Saturday...11 days! When DH's grandfather died 5 or so years ago, I asked for this event. I usually enjoy it but this year, I really dread it. I need this countdown to make me excited again.

Yesterday I deep cleaned the kitchen and living room area of my small, 1500 sq foot house. My kitchen is where everyone gathers the most. This year, I'm planning on serving dessert on the back porch. If it's cold-it's 78 degrees here today-we'll have a fire in the firepit. If not, the ceiling fans will be turning! LOL-in Arkansas you just never know which you'll need! My house is as decorated as it'll be, except I do want to pick up a few more pots of mums for the front porch. On the back, I'll add in a couple of small pumpkins for color and put a Thanksgiving tablecloth on the dining table and the round table that will hold a coffee service for dessert. I think we'll leave the desserts in the house and let each one fix their plates to take outside.

Going from inside to the back porch requires going through my laundry room, which is ok. It needs mopping but I won't do that until the last minute...it's my "mud room" type area and the boys are going hunting Saturday morning, so they will be tracking in something-dirt or mud or whatever. So that is a last minute chore.

I sent out emails this week with the menu and what we'll be providing, but have only had one response so far. I'm making turkey and dressing, a grilled pork butt, mashed potatoes, green beans, a relish tray with cranberry sauce and a dessert. Everyone else will provide the other sides and hopefully someone will offer to bring a ham. I'll have sweet tea, coffee and hot apple cider for drinks. A single male cousin will bring sodas.

I've decided on my centerpieces, too. For inside the house it's a long low centerpiece down the center of the table-I'll post pictures of it on my blog closer to time. On the back porch, I have a tray type basket that will have a fat pumpkin and fall leaves all around it. I also have a bunch of candles for out there...and I'll do something on the dessert table inside. Maybe some candles on a cake stand..still pondering that.

This weekend, DH is putting up beadboard in the boys' bathroom and I'll be painting and redecorating in there. Look for those details coming up later on Holiday Hamlet as well.

So..that's it for now. What are YOU looking forward to??

purplecrush

Premiere Member
Great thread!! I have quite a few countdowns to look forward to...

This Friday - Nov 13, My hunny and I are going to go see Jeff Dunham! We have had tickets since the beginning of August!!

Nov 15- is my birthday party...my MIL, BIL, and my Mom will be over to my house..so I need to seriously clean! Ive been sick for 2 1/2 weeks with Bronchitis so the housework was the least of my worries!!! Im finally starting to feel better, so thats what Ill be doing this week!

Nov 16- is my birthday and my hunny is taking me out to dinner...and getting me my favorite cake- Banana cake ...from my favorite bakery!! I cant wait!

Nov 20- NEW MOON!! Enough said hehe!!

And lastly, Dec 6 is my annual Cookie Party/ Ornament Exchange. So I need to decorate the house before then. Normally, Its already decorated, but with me being sick, I cant do much of anything!!

Wow, typing all this stuff is getting me excited for the next month!! Thanks!!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
This is a great thread. I'm feeling old, my baby girl turned 21 yesterday so the events i'm looking forward to revolve around that.

Friday night, November 13 we are going to my inlaws for dinner and then to a dueling piano show to celebrate my daughters birthday with them. that is what they wanted to do for her birthday and im sure it will be fun, i have never been to a dueling piano show before.

Saturday, November 14 we are having a bowling party for my daughter, just like we used to have when she was little. We are renting 4 lanes for 2 hours and having pizza. Guests can bowl or just socialize and rent their own shoes and purchase their own beverages. That way those who drink alcohol are set and those that dont are set too, lol. She is really excited about it, lol and so am i. :)

Its so funny that my birthdays never bother me but my baby turning 21 just really affects me.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Today was one of those days. I've been looking forward to the Michael Jackson movie for months now and had to wait till my friend could see after a recent eye surgery.Tonight was that night. My daughter and I have literally, been counting down the days.

Next Thursday at Midnight is the release of New Moon. I'm going with a bunch of grown women and can't wait.

Next Friday night, I've been given free Riverdance tickets and I absolutely LOVE Riverdance. I'm excited to take my husband for the first time!

After that...I'll jump December 3rd. I'm leaving to texas for 5 days to help my parents move. I'm glad to say I'm getting to see them for a second time this year!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Countdown update: I've only heard from one person so far...hmm..wonder if they got their emails. Better add phone calls to my list of things to do.

Today I'm tackling the master suite in my cleaning frenzy. It's not filthy, just cluttered and needs a good dusting/vacuuming. And I am making my list for shopping Friday at Sam's Club with my little brother (he's 42 and makes half a million a year, but still my little brother!) and for general shopping on Saturday. I love shopping!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I don't have much to countdown in the coming weeks and months-- we are skipping Thanksgiving and scaling down Christmas (due to my health).

I am counting down to my birthday this summer-- major significant birthday. Hubby and I are planning a huge fundraiser instead of a birthday party. I guess since today is November 11 then I am looking at 8 more months to put everything together. Lots to do...

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
I just looked at the calendar and it's 10 days until my sister and I take my two DDs to Christmas in Hershey - an annual tradition with just us girls. I'm really looking forward to it. Rides, Christmas lights, hotel with pool, a nice dinner, bonding time with my DDs.

It's a great kick-off to the holiday season!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I forgot to add New Moon. I will be going to the midnight show. Just not sure if i will be staying home and seeing it with my daughters friends or if i will make the 90 minute drive up to East Lansing to go see it with my daughter. I hate making decisions lol. :) My hubby said he would go see it with me but not the midnight show and then we bowl Friday and i'm not willing to wait until Saturday so midnight show it is :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Clever idea! I too have several countdown, the first being in 3 days.

My first countdown is a Christening. This coming Sunday my bestfriend's daughter will have her 6 mo son Christened. I've been asked to be the godmother. It's a big honor for me.

To Do

1. Shop for a gift
2. make a nice greeting card
3. choose a nice outfit

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aggy - that really is a big honor! Your best friend's daughter must have thought that you were a wonderful influence while she was growing up! So wonderful -- that she wants to make sure that you are involved in her son's life! That is a very high compliment!

My next happy event is also this Sunday. A First Birthday Party for dgs#3. So -- I do already have a gift. But -- in my continuing search for bargains --- and for keeping the Gift Closet filled --- I may do a shopping trip tomorrow. I have spent MOST of this week working on kitchen storage. A change of scenery would be very welcome!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm counting down to January 16 - my wedding day! Other fun things in between include my birthday (11/13), Thanksgiving, fiance's birthday (12/24), Christmas, and my dad's birthday (1/13).

After my wedding day it will be the winter olympics! We decided tonight that we, as a new family, were going to host an opening ceremony party. We just love the olympics!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
There are lots of great countdowns going here. I wish that I had time to respond to each of them. Know that I'm just as excited for you all about your events.

Well, it's been a busy week, but my day is here !!!!! We will be shopping for our Christmas ornaments today and having dessert at the melting pot. They called us yesterday to confirm our reservations, never had a restaurant do that before, I felt so "special" (guess they didn't want us to forget. How can I forget??? It has to do with CHRISTMAS!!!!!)

First, I must clean the house and we'll have an early lunch. Must get going!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am excited about everyones' countdowns to happy events! And --- please come back and give us details! i love details!!!

OK - today at 4:00 is the First Birthday Party! Things will move quickly, since the birthday boy has two older brothers to "help" him open presents. Is the First birthday party the best? Maybe it is -- for the guests. Since the "Birthday Boy" really has no expectations for particular presents -- really, no idea what is going on -- except, hopefully, that he enjoys it! I think that is my general attitude towards life: I don't really understand what is going on -- but it seems like a great party and I am enjoying it! Hmmm --- I wonder what else that baby can teach me? I'll be watching him today -- looking for lessons!

Oh -- I already got a couple of lessons. People love it when you smiles and when you laugh. Mess-ups happen - just accept them and move on. Oh -- and no matter how many times you fall on your butt, just keep getting up and moving on!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Well, my day was great!

We shopped for ornaments, other gifts, and listened to Christmas music in the van. (the kids indulged me on that one)

We decided to do an early dinner at The Melting Pot instead of just dessert. It was very good and much more flavorful than what we remembered from 5 years ago.

Sparklenana - hope the birthday party was great.

My next days involve DH birthday in 5 days and then Thanksgiving

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
6 days until my first event. My house is ok, it'll just need a quick going over on Friday..my back porch is ok, too, just needs to be swept again Friday evening or Saturday morning. I have a few groceries, but will do the bulk of the shopping on Friday. I have heard from DH's cousin and his sister. I know his other sister and her bunch will be there (she doesn't have email, need to text or call her tonight or tomorrow), so I'm not sure how many is coming. Rude, rude, rude. Anyway...can't let that get me down.

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow to do another post with other chores listed..gotta get ready for church.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
This week, I need to:
*spot clean the house
*buy the groceries
*finish up centerpieces

I want to:
*buy a new shower curtain and mirror for the boys' bathroom (the painting project got post poned for budget reasons...when we do it I want to do it right, not half way-and that's a little pricey)
*find a couple of little pumpkins for the porch

Cooking chores:
*make the dressing (I plan to make an extra pan and freeze it for next month)
*cook the turkey breasts
*grill the pork butt
*put together the relish tray
*make a salad
*make a dessert-either peanut butter cups or a pumpkin gooey cake

I'm sure there's more...back later with an update!!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Yay! Only 3 more days til my weekend get-away to Christmas in Hershey with my sister and kidos! Looks like the weather will be decent too. Here's hoping!

After that, I guess I'll be counting down to Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving!