CIJ Christmas Through the Decades: 1980's- Movies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve not seen the new Christmas story, no premium channels or streaming at our house. We have the Christmas story on in the background when we open gifts on Christmas morning, one of our traditions. Reminds me of being a kid and how much fun I had growing up.

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My daughter reminds me that when we seen Elf in the theater I said I didn't like it.
That is so funny because Elf is another one of those movies that I just did not get at first. A friend had raved about it so I watched it on my own and was not enjoying the first part of the movie...right up to the point where Buddy gets creamed by the taxi cab walking across the street. I couldn't help myself - I just started laughing. It was like the intended type of humor just clicked in my brain - now I love the whole thing!

But playing it over and over and over - why??? Wouldn't it be so much better to play back to back to back great Christmas movies? Old and new?

Unfortunately, they do not have US in charge!!! :D

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think all three of my children can quote the entire dialog of The Christmas Story.

Reactions: jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I did see Planes Trains and Automobiles when it first came to VHS. I didn't care for it but my mom loved it. I saw A Christmas Story and Elf for the first time a few years ago just for the social-cultural understanding of the quotes I'd hear. Last year, I saw Christmas Vacation for the same reason. I never heard of Prancer. I haven't seen Scrooged.

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I still don't like Trains, Planes and Automobiles but I have made my peace with Scrooged and The Santa Clause.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I’ve not seen the new Christmas story, no premium channels or streaming at our house. We have the Christmas story on in the background when we open gifts on Christmas morning, one of our traditions. Reminds me of being a kid and how much fun I had growing up.
I like this idea of having a movie on while unwrapping gifts,