Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina,
I feel your pain. I cut out restaurant food, trying to make recipes that are simple and that don't require too many ingredients that I don't already have and I do not see my grocery store bill going down.
Not really going up, which is good, but that's because of the above measures I have taken.
It takes me so much longer now to prepare meals. I check what I have on hand, write a meal plan. Then I price match between the two supermarkets that we have available to us. Like you we are trying to use up every single item, no waste if possible.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I should not shop on the day after Easter. I do not make Easter baskets anymore, but the temptation is always there to get jellybeans or other Easter treats. This year I resisted -- in part because St. Patrick's day was only 2 weeks prior and my candy dishes were still pretty full. BUT, I ran to Aldi for some dairy products I needed, and they had their store-brand equivalent of Little Debbie Easter cakes with sprinkles on clearance for $0.69 a box of 10, and jellybeans for $0.79 a regular sized bag. It was nearing lunchtime and my cravings took over. But that's it for me for the month!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
BUT, I ran to Aldi for some dairy products I needed, and they had their store-brand equivalent of Little Debbie Easter cakes with sprinkles on clearance for $0.69 a box of 10, and jellybeans for $0.79 a regular sized bag. It was nearing lunchtime and my cravings took over. But that's it for me for the month!!!!
Sounds like a very good deal. I would have found those prices hard to resist.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
The prices!!!!! A 1.5 litre of Liptons iced tea used to cost $2.50 and I would buy it often as I like the flavours. I noticed last week it was on sale for $3.00, the full price now is $6.00. How have things gone up so incredibly much?
We rarely have a treat now, it takes all my budget to buy what we need.
Us too. :(

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Grocery shopping today - painful! Eggs are 3.09 this week. Chuck roast 8.59 lb. Very few good deals. Store wasn’t that well stocked either. Will slowly re supply my pantry and freezer over the next few months as I find deals (if I find any). Will hit the cheapie meat market this week to see what they have.
We don’t have too many treats here either.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
To the meat market this morning. Chuck roast 4.49 lb and ground beef 2.99 lb. So we have some beef! Most everything is bulk package there so you have to buy 10lb of ground beef. I repackage all my meat and vacuum seal it so not a big deal.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Went to the commissary at Jackson NAS (JAX) basically just to look around. Over $7 for a package of bacon! I looked at all the different prices and it was basically an OMG moment. Then I said to myself - this is probably the cheapest price I will find and that was disturbing.

And chocolate prices will be going up since the growers had a bad year

And who knows how the supply chain will be affected by the FSKey bridge debacle.

It’s never ending.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am shopping today, I am sure that the prices have gone up again since last fortnight.
There is always an "excuse" as to why prices are jumping. The supermarket wants $9.80 for a cabbage this week. The reason? Too much rain followed by too much warm weather. We will not be having cabbage for ANZAC Day at these prices.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I told my niece I would make her some food now that she has the new baby.
I saw her last night and she said, "We are treading water here." With new baby and other kids, they need to get into a schedule and have things settle down. That's why I want to make food for her. One less thing for her to worry about.

But- I'm worried about the extra cost on my already stretched thin grocery budget.

What I think I will do is make her a couple of items and then wait a couple of weeks and make her a couple of more items.

This weekend I was thinking about making:
* sloppy joe mix and adding a pack of hamburger buns
* mini- sausage and egg casseroles- make in a muffin tin. That way she can pop some out and heat them up real quick.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, you are so sweet to be looking after your niece and her family.
Will a couple of home made soups work? I know you just made soup for church but maybe a big pot to freeze may help out.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Annie, I always think homemade when taking food, but I've found many families like pizza just as well. Pizza Hut usually has some really good combination deals or even single pizzas at a really good price.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Went to the commissary at Jackson NAS (JAX) basically just to look around. Over $7 for a package of bacon! I looked at all the different prices and it was basically an OMG moment. Then I said to myself - this is probably the cheapest price I will find and that was disturbing.

And chocolate prices will be going up since the growers had a bad year

And who knows how the supply chain will be affected by the FSKey bridge debacle.

It’s never ending.
I am shopping today, I am sure that the prices have gone up again since last fortnight.
There is always an "excuse" as to why prices are jumping. The supermarket wants $9.80 for a cabbage this week. The reason? Too much rain followed by too much warm weather. We will not be having cabbage for ANZAC Day at these prices.
Holly Crap those prices are outrages. One of the grocery stores will have bacon on sale at least once a month for $2.99 per pound, limit 4 packages. That is the only time I will buy bacon. I don't buy cabbage but I have seen the prices in our grocery store they were only a couple bucks at most. I noticed egg prices started to come back down. I buy the 60 count from Walmart and they had been around $14 and this week they are down to $10. Fresh eggs from the local farm are still $6 a dozen.
I got the price list from the place we get our beef order, prices went up a little but still overall price and quality of the beef is so much better than the grocery store. We will be placing an order soon for a summer pick up.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
@AnnieClaus, perhaps a pan of lasagna or mostaccoli? Maybe ready-made spaghetti with meatballs, heat and eat? And, I agree, soups or a batch of chili with some crusty bread, maybe make a batch and portion out half of it for them? I'd go with ones that freeze well.

Our Aldi bacon is regularly $3.49 and is very good. Meijer puts it on sale fairly often at 2/$7, and I'll grab a package or two then. Cabbage here has been inexpensive. Around here, it regularly goes on sale around St. Patrick's Day -- typically $0.29 a lb. or thereabouts. This year, I didn't see it for less than $0.49/lb. But that's still a really good price for a head.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks for the ideas, ladies!
I was thinking of lasagna, chili and soups as well.
My brother is making them baked pene this week.
I know her husband doesn't care for soup but I made them a batch of the ham potato soup after Christmas as it was their
hambone I had to make the broth.

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I told my niece I would make her some food now that she has the new baby.
I saw her last night and she said, "We are treading water here." With new baby and other kids, they need to get into a schedule and have things settle down. That's why I want to make food for her. One less thing for her to worry about.

But- I'm worried about the extra cost on my already stretched thin grocery budget.

What I think I will do is make her a couple of items and then wait a couple of weeks and make her a couple of more items.

This weekend I was thinking about making:
* sloppy joe mix and adding a pack of hamburger buns
* mini- sausage and egg casseroles- make in a muffin tin. That way she can pop some out and heat them up real quick.

Annie
Perfect choices! Pasta dishes always stretch far and if you throw in ground beef, it's a complete meal.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I noticed egg prices started to come back down.
Egg prices always go up in NYC area around Passover since it is known that it is really the only leavening we can use for baked good.

I haven't checked yet. Will hit the big box stores on Tuesday.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
At the grocery store last night- I got 4 little avocados.

While they were ringing up, I saw they totaled almost $10.00!!!!!
I asked the clerk and she said the price was correct.

I said, "Please remove them."
Sorry, I am not paying almost $10 for 4 dinky avocados.

Yes, I have become one of those people!!
These prices are unbelievable!

Ran to Target, thought I would see what their avocados were. 60 cents a piece.
Much better.

Also- tiny cheeseburger at McDonald's. $3.00. They used to be 89 cents.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I said, "Please remove them."
Sorry, I am not paying almost $10 for 4 dinky avocados.
I found a very good avocado dip in the Aldi fridge section, I think it is called Deli Originals.. It is very smooth and I have been enjoying it on tacos etc. It stores for quite a few weeks in the fridge.