2024 Healthy Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
IMG_0225.jpeg
So. I am trying to move more. I did my YT stretching video with Denise Austin. Now, I have peddled for 17 minutes. Why is it so easy NOT to exercise? Sigh … I want to not be a slug!! So, here’s to keeping it going this year!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The answer is probably the same reason it's so easy to grab a donut at Dunkin, rather than have yogurt and granola at home. Keep pushing forward, every peddle helps!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I am doing a 30 day yoga challenge, Yoga with Adriene and the challege is called Flow. It's on YouTube if anyone is interested. It's a very "come as you are" practice. She says the hardest part is showing up everyday and if all you do is show up and push play and work on your breathing, you have succeeded. So i'm not being too hard on myself to hit every move perfectly. I'm terrible at yoga, but this year I am really enjoying it. I have tried this challenge for years and usually only make it a couple days in. I am going strong and haven't missed a day yet! I have even added in a 5 minute meditation afterward, whatever looks good when I google "5 minute meditation".

When this challenge is over, I will probably continue to do whatever of her videos look good so I don't lose momentum, until I find something else I like.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
With the holidays now behind us, I started to notice I was feeling just blah.
Well, yeah, eating what you want, when you want, no real meals, a lot of snacks, chillin, watching Christmas movies,
stay up till when you want, running around after work for a week straight.
It caught up with me.

The party is over, Girl!

Time to reel it in!!

I started with STOPPING at work yesterday and taking 2 small walks.
Last night I went to bed early- I've been staying up as late as 11:30, 11:45. My alarm goes off at 5. This is not enough sleep!
Need to meal plan properly and get some veggies in those meals.
I also want to work on a goal for eating more protein. I do not eat enough of it.

I'm going through an all day goals course on Friday to set up 2024 and some health and fitness goals will definitely be on there.

Annie

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am off track too! My routine has changed too. I liked what I was doing. I am going to try add an additional activitiy to the routine - exercise! I think it will be something like dancing with the oldies from YT. In the evening I would like to do the prayer journal I got for my birthday.

Annie, I too have been going to bed later and sleeping my quiet morning hours away. (One can do that when retired) but I really do like the quiet mornings without anyone around.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
With the holidays now behind us, I started to notice I was feeling just blah.
Well, yeah, eating what you want, when you want, no real meals, a lot of snacks, chillin, watching Christmas movies,
stay up till when you want, running around after work for a week straight.
It caught up with me.
The party is over, Girl!
Time to reel it in!!

Amen Sista!! I'm right there with you. After the blur of Christmas through January, I'm just so ready to get back to routine and getting my food back on track. I made it a priority this week to try and get my veges in...at least for dinner. Now I need to work on my breakfast and lunch.

Now this is a random Healthy Living goal, but with all the trauma my body has gone through in 2023, my body is now officially retaliating and I'm loosing my hair. It started 2 weeks ago, but the last three days has been pretty traumatizing though. So I'm committing to using the Rogain stuff as instructed to slow it down. It was explained to me that it doesn't really help grow new hair, but instead helps keep the hair you have intact. SOOOOOOO 2x a day for awhile now I'll be adding it to my hair. I don't know what that will make my hair look like during the day when it's dry, but I'll give it a shot and see.

Exercise wise, I really want to get back into the pool for a month before I go into the gym and start lifting weights again. I just need to build up some strength. I had my G-tube removed from my stomach on Monday and as soon as it's closed with skin and not just a scab, I can get in that pool. TRUST ME...I'm counting down the days. It will be about 5 months in between when I finally get back in the water.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I found that working on one new health habit for 6 weeks or so before starting another new health habit made 2023 a very successful year for me. Every 6 weeks I kept adding in new health habits through August while also keeping each habit going from before.

Oh, it's not easy to show up every day for yourself when you rather be sleeping in a warm bed and not exercising in a cool room with rain hitting the windows at 5:30 am. But if I don't show up for myself, who will? My family supports me but they can't make me exercise, eat healthy, make good choices. I have to do the hard work. That's what it is - Hard. Work.

Something changes though when you start showing up for yourself, when you realize that the hard work is hard work but you are doing it, that you really are doing the hard work and succeeding. You start to believe in yourself and realize that, somewhere along the way, you lost faith in yourself, in what you could do and couldn't do.

Friends, we really are stronger than we think we are. Each of you is dealing with something difficult. You have a support team here, at home, that is cheering you on to be the best version of you, of who you want to be. We just have to show up and do the hard work everyday. We can do this!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
My mantra this year, pertaining to being healthy and losing weight, is "When you feel like quitting, think about why you started." Each and every pound leaves this body kicking and screaming, with much pacing and clenching of my teeth...and repeating my mantra over and over. 14 weeks in and 18 pounds lost.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My mantra this year, pertaining to being healthy and losing weight, is "When you feel like quitting, think about why you started." Each and every pound leaves this body kicking and screaming, with much pacing and clenching of my teeth...and repeating my mantra over and over. 14 weeks in and 18 pounds lost.
Way to Go with the weight loss. You are proving it can be done!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am down 7. Started December 1. I took a lot of info from here and came up with a plan. I am doing high protein and eat what I want on holiday events. Seems to be working. The reason I decided to eat what I want on holidays is because I always say I will start after the holiday. So watch what I eat until holiday and eat what want on the holiday. Often DH asks me to partake of the leftovers sweets and it hard to say no. Sometimes I fail but my no rest is getting stronger. Just need to get activity add. Let’s see how it goes.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
It's not much, but I walked the office hall during the last 10 minutes of my lunch hour today.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jane- It is A LOT!
Every 10 minutes adds up!

Great job- GrammaDeb and Miss JoDee!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Yay for everyone’s progress! I lost another pound this week, and I’m down a pants size. I’ve had these pants for 3+ years, hopeful that they would fit someday. Today is that day! (If someone comes near me with a donut or cookie, I just might steal it and run…)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That is awesome! You are doing this!
The reason I decided to eat what I want on holidays is because I always say I will start after the holiday. So watch what I eat until holiday and eat what want on the holiday.
Great job!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
You all are so inspiring. And encouraging. :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
What a difference for me this past week when I just did a little stretching, yoga, walking YT videos and then a little stationary bike and some steps around the outside area when DS has OT/PT. I feel so much better. I have to remember this feeling and not ... avoid starting exercising!! :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
IMG_3506.png
My kind of exercise! LOL :)

Although, I have still been doing the stationary bike and doing the intermittent fasting.