Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
ive bouught some storage bowls - socks and pjs for grandson. kohls has great sales i buy bigger sizes so he can wear them christmas. i want to get some gift cards but they way stores are closing im kinda scared to get them

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am not sure if this counts as the gift closet, but in evaluating things from last year and what I can do differently I have crossed a few people off of the gift list. In my twisted way of thinking, I am counting these folks as done on the list.
1. "coaches present". We always got my DD softball coach a present, however the team also takes a collection and gives him a gift. I felt it was not necessary for next year to buy our own gift and give to him as well, seems we were the only one to do this anyway, sorry not sorry, crossed off.
2. "office present". Since we are closing on 3/30, there will not be an office, hence no office swap.

I am also on the fence with my niece. It is a complicated situation. It is my DH half sister (he only found out he had a half sister 5 years ago). They have the same father, who my husband never knew. Anyway, last year we got her daughter a Christmas present. She was only a baby and his half sister never came over, we had to take it to her. We only saw her once last year, but we got her a Christmas gift, and it is still sitting in my bedroom all wrapped up. Every time we reach out to her she is never available for us to take the gift over, or for her to pick up. Sigh. Not sure yet what to do.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
JK - since the gift hasn't been delivered and she has no interest in getting together let it go! Save the wrapped gift for another sweet baby. It seems like the half sister has no interest in making an effort in being family. It may be to much for her to handle.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree about the gift. You have reached out. The ball in now in her court. If she wants a relationship she will contact your family. Send a card during the holidays if you'd like.

Reactions: jollykelly

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
JK just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with the softball coach gift. You are already contributing so cross him off.
As for the baby and the half sister......let it go. If a relationship develops, lovely. If not sent a card as you would any body else at Christmas.
I am becoming quite brutal when it comes to giving. Giving and receiving must fill us with joy and if not, re evaluate.

Reactions: jollykelly

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Housewife2, you got some great buys. Very wise buying the next size up!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I need to review my gift closet... mostly for upcoming bdays. I do have a few ideas for gifts next year so I will be ordering these soon.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
got 1 gift for my neighbors she likes anything with deers so we had a salt and pepper in a holder with antlers on it. cracker barrel has some cool items

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing OK with upcoming birthdays. Got something for DB birthday in June and DS birthday for July.
Need something for DH birthday in March. I have no idea at this stage as to what to get him. Will think about it over the next few weeks and hopefully come up with something.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Right now I am still focusing on birthdays, Easter and whatnot. But I did slip an Etch a Sketch in my gift closet stash. I tend to focus more on gift crafting this time of year but it is so good to keep an eye out for deals. I do try to always scan toy clearance - I've found some really great deals for Toys for Tots that way!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ the Etch a Sketch is such a classic toy. Good pick up.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Went through the gift closet today. Got some boxes with names on them for dd, ds, me and mom and put stuff in them. I printed out the gift list for the bdays and tried to match some gifts to that list I will be ordering from AllieExpress this weekend... need things for the kids' bdays in April. I've got a few things on hand for Easter too :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing well Lucie. I think Easter is just about done for me, I just need a chocolate bunny or egg for the kids baskets but still have a few weeks to do that.
Put another layby on yesterday for Christmas, mainly clothing and stocking fillers. Am doing OK so far.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im waiting on several stocking filler items from ebay.... Im trying to really get ahead of the game this year.... (more so than usual).

Luke has very helpfully requested a portable hard drive and a Google home mini for his room for his birthday so that helps with ideas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to IKEA yesterday and got a 3 pack of candles in peppermint scent. Not sure who to give them to so they will go in the gift closet.
Still working on stocking fillers especially Summer items that are starting to go on clearance here. A good time to stock up on sunscreen, gradual tanner and all those "Summery" items.
Need to sit down with the kids at some stage and just get ideas from them as to what they like in their stockings etc and see if I am on the right track.
I would like to have most of the stockings done by September or so so that I have time then to focus on other things.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Luke is showing an interest in cooking... so I picked him up his own chef's knife and cutting board today. Not expensive ones but its a start.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good on Luke for showing an interest in cooking. It is an amazing skill to have.
A good basic cook book might be a great addition. Donna Hay has some great books out.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glad to hear Luke is cooking. I also started my kids early in the kitchen (and with laundry).