Appetizer & Snack Mix Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This one was really good! A hit at Superbowl party earlier this year!

Roasted Red Pepper Shrimp Scampi Dip

½ c. roasted red bell peppers, diced, drained and patted dry

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1 T Dijon

2 cups shredded cheese

½ c Parmesan

1.5 T onion, minced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (12 oz) package SeaPak Shrimp Scampi

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Spray 8x8 dish with cooking spray

3. Combine all ingredients except for shrimp and a ½ cup of cheese in a bowl and mix well. You can also beat with a mixer.

4. Stir in frozen shrimp scampi

5. Bake for 20 minutes and stir to distribute the butter and seasonings on the shrimp scampi. Sprinkle on remaining ½ cup shredded cheese and return to oven for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and shrimp is cooked through.

6. Serve hot with crackers, or even better with toasted baguette slices!

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
On my blog I have a label of appetizers. One year for CIJ I was trying to post one daily. Just thought I would mention it anybody was looking for some.

Some people said they had trouble going to my blog so not sure.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Lana,
There is a problem with the link that you have posted here.
Im able to get to yours by following the link on either Pamela or Lucie's.
PS Im loving your recipe ideas

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
No
I changed my blog address my adding an s after http Most do not have that but just looking at mine blog it does. If somebody trys it let me know if it works now.
Nope still not working.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Try taking out the "/" at the end of .com. Maybe. These things always drive me nuts.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did a test run of these this weekend - they were delish! They also lasted a long time in the fridge - can easily make these several hours ahead- they probably would have lasted overnight without any change if I had covered them, oops!

Cucumber Bites:

2 cucumbers

12 cherry tomatoes (or pieces of red bell pepper cut into decorative shapes)

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1 T mayo

3 T ranch dressing

1 T fresh dill (1.5 tsp dried or ½ T)

¼ tsp garlic salt

Black Pepper for garnish

Wash, peel and slice cucumber into half inch slices.

Remove a little of the insides of the cucumber with a half teaspoon measurement.

Combine softened cream cheese, mayo and ranch. Mix it well until smooth in texture.

Add dill and garlic salt and mix until just combined.

Place all the topping into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe out about ¾ T into each prepared cucumber. (Pat cucumbers dry first or topping will not stick)

Top with cherry tomato halves or pieces of bell pepper. Sprinkle with black pepper.

NOTE: Reviewer comments on mixture being too thick? Test and thin if needed with more mayo or ranch or even sour cream...but I did not need to - had perfect consistency for piping!

I followed recipe and used 2 of the long greenhouse cucumbers cut into 1" or so slices. I ran of of filling to pipe in the "cups" just before my last piece or two.

http://healthyfoodadvices.com/cucumber-bites-appetizers/

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Cheesy Bacon Broils

Crisply cooked crumbled bacon - 12 oz to 1 lb
3/4 cup Mayo (add a bit more if final mixture seems to thick)
1.5 cups freshly shredded Sharp Cheddar
Sprinkle of garlic powder- to taste
Sprinkle of onion powder - to taste
1 tsp or so dried parsley (optional)
Thin slices of bread - use a baguette, rye party bread slices or just thinly sliced bakery bread - Italian, French, whatever you have!

Mix all the ingredients except the bread. Spread the mixture - not super thickly but enough to cover bread well- on the slices of bread. Put on foil or parchment lined cookie sheet and broil until bubbly and lightly browned.

Try not to eat ALL of it yourself!

Made this at the last minute this weekend when we ended up short an appetizer at a gathering. Used French bread I pulled out of the freezer, defrosted in microwave and thinly sliced. Bigger pieces of bread work fine, I think the trick is just to slice them thinly.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Cheesy Bacon Broils

Crisply cooked crumbled bacon - 12 oz to 1 lb
3/4 cup Mayo (add a bit more if final mixture seems to thick)
1.5 cups freshly shredded Sharp Cheddar
Sprinkle of garlic powder- to taste
Sprinkle of onion powder - to taste
1 tsp or so dried parsley (optional)
Thin slices of bread - use a baguette, rye party bread slices or just thinly sliced bakery bread - Italian, French, whatever you have!

Mix all the ingredients except the bread. Spread the mixture - not super thickly but enough to cover bread well- on the slices of bread. Put on foil or parchment lined cookie sheet and broil until bubbly and lightly browned.

Try not to eat ALL of it yourself!

Made this at the last minute this weekend when we ended up short an appetizer at a gathering. Used French bread I pulled out of the freezer, defrosted in microwave and thinly sliced. Bigger pieces of bread work fine, I think the trick is just to slice them thinly.
Bacon, mayo, and cheese...and then on a baguette...oh, I'm in heaven!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hands-Off Party Wings

Baking powder is the secret ingredient in crispy hot wings that don’t require a lot of time in the kitchen, leaving you with more time to enjoy whatever. Like Twister. Or Uno. Stuff like that.

For the wings:

• 2 tablespoons baking powder

• 1 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

• 5 pounds chicken wings, split and wing tips removed
Instructions

Line 2 baking sheets with foil, then arrange a wire rack over the foil. Coat the rack with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together the baking powder, salt and black pepper. Add the wings and toss to coat evenly. Or you can put dry ingredients in a Ziplock bag and toss the wings in that a handful at a time. Spread the chicken wings over the rack and refrigerate for 2 hours, uncovered. (NOTE: I've left them overnight in fridge as well!)

When ready to cook, heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Bake the chicken wings for 60 to 70 minutes, flipping them halfway through, or until very crispy and golden brown.

While the wings bake, prepare desired sauces. Serve the wings on a platter accompanied by the sauces for dunking. You could also toss the wings in sauce if you want.

Use any Sauce Recipe you want! I’m on the hunt for a great Garlic Parmesan sauce for wings - if you find one let me know!!! Here is the Buffalo one I use and love:

Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce

• 2/3 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)

• 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter

• 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

• 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

• Salt to taste
Directions

1. Combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a whisk. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, stir with the whisk, and set aside for use.

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Stuffed Mushrooms

This is a very simple stuffed mushroom and I think they are all the better for it. Sometimes things get a little crazy where mushroom stuffing is concerned. Sometimes you just need to go back to basics. Churn your own butter...wait...no that is too basic. Just make these stuffed mushrooms!

½ lb medium mushrooms - brown, white, whatever you can find that looks good!

½ c. onion, minced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 T parsley, chopped

¾ tsp salt

¼ tsp oregano

½ c. butter

½ c. dry bread crumbs

¼ c. Parmesan

Clean mushrooms - wipe them as best you can with paper towels. Don’t rinse - they’ll soak up the water like little sponges.

Remove stems from mushrooms and chop finely. Saute mushroom stems, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and oregano in butter until onion is tender. Try not to drool into the pan at the lovely smell. Stir in crumbs and cheese. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps - place in pan and cover with foil. Bake at 400 until mostly done - maybe 15 minutes or so? Poke a mushroom with a fork - if it seems cooked it's time to broil to finish them off - uncover - broil approx. 2 minutes until topping browns nicely. Watch them to make sure they don't burn!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I know this is pretty basic but thought I would share my Deviled Eggs recipe - it's always a hit! And the cooking method seems to work perfect every time!

Deviled Eggs

This is hard to measure recipe - ultimately you want the filling for the eggs to be soft but not runny. Add enough of the “wet” ingredients listed to get it to the desired consistency. That will vary based on how many eggs you make.

Eggs (Make as many as you want! 18 fit nicely in my standard Dutch Oven sized pot) TIP: Older eggs are going to peel much easier! Plan ahead, buy early and write on the carton so you don’t accidentally use them!

Mayo
Miracle Whip
Yellow Mustard (Any mustard works if you like another better)
Worcestershire
Dill Pickle Relish
Salt & Pepper
Cream (as needed)
Paprika to garnish

Place eggs in bottom of large pot - cover with cold water by a couple of inches.

NOTE: If any float TOSS them - they’re bad. I usually have more eggs “saved” then I need just in case any turn out to be floaters. Tiny air bubbles escaping from eggs are fine - that happens with any egg.

Place pot on stove, cover and turn burner to HIGH. Bring to a boil. As soon as pot boils, turn off burner and set timer for 12-13 minutes. When timer is almost done, fill a large bowl with ice water. When timer beeps, use large slotted spoon to carefully transfer eggs from hot water to bowl of ice water. Once eggs have cooled you can make them right away OR you can put in air tight containers, covered with cold water and keep in the fridge for 1-2 days until you are ready to make the Deviled Eggs.

When ready: Peel the eggs! Good luck! Sometimes it goes great, sometimes it is just ridiculous. I tap the top and bottom ends on the counter then turn egg on its side and gently roll on counter to break up the whole shell. I start peeling at the fattest end, pinching and pulling to get the first piece off. Peeling at the sink with running cool water to keep washing the egg is helpful. What you want is to get both shell and the thin clear membrane just underneath it up - if you can hit that just right it will all slide off much easier.

Once all eggs are peeled, cut each one in half longways (top to bottom). I use a cheese slicer that only has the wire - no littler roller bar - but a sharp knife works too, you just have to be gentle.

Take each egg half and gently flex it so that egg yolk pops out and falls into a bowl. Repeat for all eggs. You can put emptied white “shells” in fridge at this point while you make the filling if desired.

Add a couple of big globs of mayo and the same of mustard. A few dabs of Worcestershire and as much relish as you like - you can skip it if you want but it adds a nice touch - sweet relish would work too if you prefer. Salt and pepper it too.

I use a hand mixer and blend away - going to the point of a nice smooth texture - no chunks of cooked yolk. If the mixture is too thick carefully add some cream (or milk) 1 Tbsp at a time and remix. Taste test. Add more mayo, Miracle Whip, mustard or relish, S&P as you think it needs it. Reblend. When happy you are ready to fill your eggs.

You can use a piping bag or just use a small spoon to scoop up filling and fill each egg. Store filled eggs in covered container in the fridge. Sprinkle with a bit of paprika for color just before serving.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
A friend brought this to SuperBowl earlier this year and it was devoured. I've made it a few times since and the pie plate is always cleaned out quickly! Easy to make too! I loved this so much that I made a point to can several batches/variations of Pepper Jelly this spring! HIGHLY recommend this one, folks! Enjoy! :cool:

Captain Rodney’s Dip
This dip is exactly what every party needs. Mayo, cream cheese, and cheese are topped with buttery crackers, bacon, and a sweet heat glaze.
Author: Paula

Ingredients
½ cup mayonnaise Blue Plate or Duke's
8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups cheddar cheese grated (like this)
2 whole green onions sliced thin
⅓ cup butter crackers crushed (like this brand)
8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, or bacon bits
½ cup Boucan Pepper Glaze Captain Rodney's Boucan Pepper Glaze or pepper jelly

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. For easier mixing, allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature.
Mix together the mayonnaise, cream cheese, cheese, and green onions.
Spread in an 8 or 9-inch pie dish. Top with crushed butter crackers.
Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Remove from the oven and top with cooked, crumbled bacon and Captain Rodney's Boucan Glaze. Serve with sturdy crackers, tortilla chips, or Scoops.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
A friend brought this to SuperBowl earlier this year and it was devoured. I've made it a few times since and the pie plate is always cleaned out quickly! Easy to make too! I loved this so much that I made a point to can several batches/variations of Pepper Jelly this spring! HIGHLY recommend this one, folks! Enjoy! :cool:

Captain Rodney’s Dip
This dip is exactly what every party needs. Mayo, cream cheese, and cheese are topped with buttery crackers, bacon, and a sweet heat glaze.

Ingredients

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. For easier mixing, allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature.
Remove from the oven and top with cooked, crumbled bacon and Captain Rodney's Boucan Glaze. Serve with sturdy crackers, tortilla chips, or Scoops.

Captain Rodney's products are amazing - we couldn't keep them on the shelves at the gift shop I worked at in Virginia. The glaze is available on Amazon.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Captain Rodney’s Dip

Ingredients

Instructions

Have the glaze in my shopping cart. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY

Captain Rodney’s Dip

Ingredients

Instructions

I printed this. We plan on having a "dip" day at work. I think I will try this & then if I like it it's what I will make that day.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I wanted to share a dip recipe that I have made - oh - about a MILLION times now. It is a simple dip that I use for a veggie tray at parties. It also works well with a cheese/meat/cracker tray. These trays get picked clean at every party - people continue to munch on them long after the other food has been forgotten. Cheaper and better than store bought dips. Compare to a standard Ranch Veggie Dip but this is more oniony - without being overpowering about it.

You can whip it on fairly short notice - it does need 2 hours at least to chill in fridge and meld the flavors for best taste - but I have made it just after lunch time in order to have it for dinner time - more than once!!!

Homemade Veggie Dip

1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
Large handful of dehydrated thinly sliced onions, chopped (optional)*
1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
⅛ tsp pepper
2 to 3 splashes from red wine vinegar bottle (with lid in place that only lets a small amount out at one time!)

Mix all ingredients and chill at least 2 hours. This lasts in a sealed container in the fridge for up to at least 5 days. It never makes it longer than that in our house!

NOTE: I have halved the recipe above or doubled and tripled it. Very forgiving. Once I halved the sour cream and mayo but kept the other ingredients the same and it still tasted great. I think it is just a matter of taste! Very easy to add other herbs to this and make it your own!

* My MIL dehydrates EVERYTHING and recently has given me a large amount of thinly sliced sweet onions. They work GREAT in this dip but are not something you need to have for it to taste great. It just makes it better IMHO - but we knew and loved the recipe long before this ingredient option came around.

I do not measure these - I just grab some - they all stick to each other - kind of like pulling monkeys out of a barrel (10 points if you get that reference! :D ) They are hard to chop up so I just do the best I can. A Pampered Chef chopper works the best but a sharp knife will work too.

Reactions: luludou