Fall 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I start in mid Sept as I like to wait until the start of school craziness settles down and we get back into the school routine.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually start toward the end of September. I also like to settle into the school craziness and then move into that decorating. I use mums outside the house, use fall wreaths on the doors, and usually put fall leaf garland around the front door.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I start mine around the end of September,as i wax leaves and do more own decor pieces with pinecones and acorns which fall from the tree next to my house and i do pumpkins and gourds i just love fall living in New England our fall season is just beautiful.:)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It all sounds so beautiful. As we are reversed here with the seasons, I am looking forward to the Spring on September 1st. Windows wide open, flowering azaleas in pots. Really looking forward to it this year!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I don't really decorate as such. But In Spring and Summer I do have bowls of frangipani flowers around the house. They smell fantastic and they fall fresh off our tree throughout the day. I love them!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh Tanya, I love frangipani. Way too cold for them here but the are so beautiful and smell divine.

Reactions: Minta

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I decorate about the first of September. I have a BIG tub of all sorts of things ... nick nacks, fake flowers and leaves, fall colored crocheted blanket, turkey décor, fall books for the coffee table ...

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I love fall and its decor. I try to make myself wait until mid September to start. When I think about it by the time Halloween is over I am thinking about Christmas. We spend Thanksgiving with my mom and I like to have Christmas complete by December 1 except for some baking so we can enjoy the entire month. DH works for UPS and is always exhausted by the time December 25th arrives so I try to make the month as relaxing for him as possible with no demands. We finish our Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving which is one thing he does like to do with me.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I start at the beginning of September. I put out a LOT - leaf garlands, white lights up on top of kitchen cupboards and a long high shelf in the living room. Pumpkins, gourds, etc. Autumn wreaths and swags. Lots of fall candles of course! I have a woof felt fall runner for the long bookshelf in the hallway, and a pumpkin candle mat I made as well. Some fall themed wooden signs and so on.

It takes a long time to put it all up! Then at Halloween time I just take down a few pieces and substitute Halloween items. Then I swap those pieces out again in November for the fall ones again and/or Thanksgiving items.

I can't wait! It's going to be time before we know it!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Y'all making me wish fall were here already!! I like to decorate with fall on Labor Day since we have that day off. Sometimes, I have time and sometimes I don't. I put garland around the front door and have fall pieces throughout the house. My living room is fall colors, anyway, so it looks great once it's done. I do like AJ and put in Halloween and Thanksgiving when it's time. It's not a huge amount of stuff, but enough for me to get the feel of fall even if the temperatures don't cooperate. Got to love living in the South!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I plan on repainting my front door sometime this Sept so I definitely will not be decorating the front porch until the door is done. Just need to decide what color

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i know its early but i set a ceramic pumpkin on my mantle today. just couldnt help myself with looking at fall and halloween at work all day

Reactions: missjane and Minta

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Is it September yet?? I say this every year, but it's worth repeating... I spend 9 months counting down to the 3 months out of the year I hate. June, July, and August is not my favorite time of the year. I love aspects about it, but I don't like the heat. Makes me grumpy and whiny!!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes aug first closer to fall . i like sept too that much closer to cooler weather and the holidays.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have it already marked in my holiday planner for this year, the last weekend in September - ready for October 1 and the upcoming Canadian Thanksgiving (on the 9th this year).

Our local greenhouse has a 'fall porch package', a square bale of straw, mums and a bundle of dried corn stocks; makes it very easy! I also have scarecrows that we place in the mixed perennial beds beside the porch steps, pumpkins, the wreaths on the doors. I LOVE the fall mums - so I do purchase extra to place on the steps and tables. :rolleyes:

(The straw bale is useful after its 'festive' use too in the garden, we use it to mulch the few flowers that may need some extra protection in the winter, and the birds love sitting on the corn stocks - we place it under the bird feeder in the garden for winter, composting in the spring.)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I think right after Labor Day is the time to start. This year I will have to wait until I get back from England and some other travels so it will probably be mid-September.

I'll do the mantle, put a new wreath on the door and maybe do another few odds and ends. I got some fall decorations today from Dollar Tree so I might be a little ahead of the game!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I decorate for the first of September. I start with a few pieces and add in more gourds, pumpkins, etc. as they become available. I'm a cold-weather type person, and I love when Fall arrives, so even though our Septembers are usually pretty warm, the Fall decor makes me feel better.
I don't put anything out for Halloween until after Thanksgiving (in October in Canada)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Cool temps here today, feels like FALL! :) had to turn the heat on in the car this morning! I know the heat will come roaring back for a while yet, but this morning it made me smile!

Reactions: RoniJo