Flowers and gardens 2017...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What is everyone doing for flowers and/or garden activity this year?

Instead of planting a big garden out back, this year we chose to do several big pots on the deck instead. Just doing tomatoes and cucumbers!

But we did do several hanging baskets and a couple of nice big planters on the front porch!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/34721265132/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/34721265922/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/34721266322/in/dateposted-public/

What are others doing?

Reactions: jollykelly

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ - beautiful flowers... love your porch!!! I'm not doing much, I have perennials and plant a few annuals . Diedra and Lana do alot!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
So pretty, i love the red and purple combination.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks! :) We have a LOT of perennials in the front flower beds...I'll have to share some pics of those too - we have a lot of hostas of course, some salvia in both the dark purple and the light, coral bells and lady's mantle...oh and hardy mums - we had some grow HUGE last year by fall...

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ Gorgeous!

We do not grow any vegetables, except that I did buy DH a tomato plant. It's not really doing great.

We do flowers though! I plant many hundreds of dollars worth of annuals in pots and beds, and we have gardens full of perennials which bloom at different times during the summer. A few years back we re-did our driveway, planting beds and entry deck. I've tried to stick primarily to evergreens for that area and add a few annuals to line the walkway in the summer. What an improvement in our curb appeal.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Beautiful flowers AJ! I am jealous of your porch. ;) We are not planting vegetables, seemed to feed the deer, rabbits, and groundhogs more than anything else in years past, so we will just be stopping by the local roadside stands. Front of my house and sidewalk are lined with hostas (so low maintenance) and impatient's. We have 2 hanging baskets by the door and 2 planters. I love adding potato vines to my baskets as the grow and drape beautifully. They add the dramatic effect that makes up for my lack of talent and handicapped green thumb! :D

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Unfortunately I will not be able to do anything this year since we are moving. Once we get settled in Hawaii then i'll do something since the weather is great year round there.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH bought 7 bags of brown mulch, 2 bags of black soil and I bought flowers... so I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well we have a lot planted so far .. last month we planted fruits: 10 blueberry bushes, a blackberry bush, 2 strawberry plants, 2 apple trees, a Peach tree and a pear tree.
Last weekend we planted a row of each watermelon, pumpkin and honeydew seeds
Veggies: tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, peppers and carrots.

Hoping it all grows :)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Your flowers look great. Red, white and blue are my go to colors. I love how they look with our house. I bought ferns for our back porch today. We are pretty shaded on most parts of the house. I have perennials in the beds surrounding the house, and they have to be deer resistant or they won't last. I will do two urns by the garage and two urns on the front porch. I will get those tomorrow when I have help to tote them and room in the Tahoe. Four ferns took up the cargo space today.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
we buy a lot of annuals plant in the garden and have flowers on the porch. in the vegetable garden we planted squash peppers tomotoes pototoes cabbage cucumbers

Reactions: teachermomof2

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This year I've decided to focus more on my vegetable and herb garden and orchard to get them back to where they should be. I've also strongly reminded DH that the greenhouse he promised to build me is still not done and my birthday is next month. HINT-HINT LOL Last year I'd built 4 raised beds so that my father in law could help in the gardens since he loved it so much. He never got strong enough to actually help but he did plant all of my seedlings before he died. For months I couldn't go near the garden or the seedlings without tears and grief. I finally feel okay and I love playing in the dirt. I've gotten 3 of the 4 beds cleaned, fertilized and fresh soil to top it off. I've planted my tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and herbs so far. I hope to get some zucchini, squash, eggplant and okra planted soon. The citrus trees have been invaded with briars and vines. I will work on those as soon as the rain lets up to get them cleared and beautiful again. My fig trees are suffering from a fungus that I will take care of with Neem Oil this week.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ellen - Good luck on getting your greenhouse! Sounds like you are making great progress with what you have. I wish we could have citrus trees here! And figs! Oh the envy! :)

My plants are all doing great for the most part! One planter got overwatered somehow - identical planter right next to it got watered the same amounts at same times and it is going like rockets. The other one - not so much! I've purchased new plants to replace all the ones that died. Will be drilling extra drain holes in the pot too!!!

But my tomato plants are going crazy! And all the hanging baskets on the deck are doing great too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/35306715625/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/35306726285/in/dateposted-public/

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ Your yard is so beautiful!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
MrsSoup that move sounds wonderful,got lots planted here,cucumbers,peppers,radishes,beans,peas strawberries,rasberries,and all my flowers are in bloom and my lilac tree just looked lovely,i do enjoy my gardens.:)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Seems all of a sudden it is full summer here. Days will start to get shorter iin just days. I wanted to plant sunflowers but haven't yet. Not sure we have enough growing days
left but might just toss the outside. They are old seed packs.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I haven't planted my pumpkins in the ground yet. Probably too late, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways. Everything has taken off the past week, so that's nice to see. Caught my basset trying to climb in my raised beds today. I'm like...GET OUT DUDE!! He never does that so I"m not sure what has his interest. Maybe the green beans???