Appetizer & Snack Mix Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: Make-ahead appetizers

At my house appetizers made ahead do not last until the party.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
BLT Dip-from Gooseberry Patch

1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 jar bacon pieces (the kind you put on salad)
1 chopped tomato, drained and seeded (you can also use canned-just be sure to drain them well. I've also used sundried, which gives it a good but different flavor)
Garlic powder to taste

Mix together the mayo and sour cream, add bacon, tomatoes and garlic powder. Serve it with small slices or cubes of French bread or crackers. I like it best with club crackers.

It's also pretty served in a bread bowl. Fun!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is a really easy recipe that guys love! And you can make it ahead of time, even freeze it if you want!

Beer Cheese

3 cups extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
½ can beer (I use Miller Lite. I'm sure any beer would work)
3 tb butter, softened
tiny pinch cayenne
tiny pinch nutmeg
½ tsp worshetichire

Put cheese in large bowl, pour beer over and stir well. Let sit on counter for 30 minutes or until cheese is softened.

Put mixture in food processor, add butter and rest of ingredients. Process until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Chill briefly if desired. Best served after sitting a room temp for a few minutes so it is soft enough to spread.

Serve with pretzels or crackers, etc.

Store in fridge for up to a few weeks or in freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw by letting sit a room temp until soft.

This is actually a half recipe - if your food processor is big enough, just double all the ingredients and make a full batch. It makes a ton so you'll probably end up freezing some.

:grin:

This recipe and Buffalo Chicken Dip are football party staples for us!

Oh, and here is another super easy one!

Black Olive Dip

1 (8 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened (I've also used the 1/3 less kind and it tastes just as good!)
4 Tablespoons of Mayonaise (I use Hellmans Light)
One can of chopped blacked olives (small or large can to taste)
3 Green Onions chopped (Can substitute onion powder to taste if desired)
Garlic Powder or fresh minced garlic to taste

Process all ingredients in food processor. Chill and serve with crackers.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
I don't think I've shared any of my recipes on here yet so I thought I'd share one that I love. Believe it or not, this is really good as a main dish served with rice too! Or at least, I think it does! lol It's really easy to make and travels well to potlucks. Something a little different than the BBQ versions!

Honey Glazed Holiday Appetizers

½ cup Kikkoman teriyaki baste and glaze
3 tablespoons honey
1 package Hillshire farm lit'l smokies

Blend Kikkoman teriyaki baste & glaze and honey. Set aside. Lightly brown lit'l smokies in slow cooker pot on range top for 5 minutes. Transfer slow cooker pot onto heating base; stir in sauce mixture. Cover and simmer until thoroughly heated. Reduce to low setting to keep warm for serving.

Servings: 10

Note: If taking them to a potluck, mix the first two ingredients together in a sealable container. Brown the smokies and then refrigerate. Once at your destination, place all ingredients in crock-pot and cook on high until smokies are heated through. Reduce heat to low and serve.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Where is the recipe for Cranberry Spread? When I did a search for it, it comes up "too common words" and gives no results.

Huh?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Cranberry Spread

2 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 package dried cranberries

In a bowl, mash hte softened cream cheese with a fork until soft and "workable". Stir in orange juice and cranberries, mixing until well blended. Serve with crackers or gingersnaps. If you would like, add some chopped nuts...pecans or walnuts would be good.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
I don't think I've shared any of my recipes on here yet so I thought I'd share one that I love. Believe it or not, this is really good as a main dish served with rice too! Or at least, I think it does! lol It's really easy to make and travels well to potlucks. Something a little different than the BBQ versions!

Honey Glazed Holiday Appetizers

½ cup Kikkoman teriyaki baste and glaze
3 tablespoons honey
1 package Hillshire farm lit'l smokies

Blend Kikkoman teriyaki baste & glaze and honey. Set aside. Lightly brown lit'l smokies in slow cooker pot on range top for 5 minutes. Transfer slow cooker pot onto heating base; stir in sauce mixture. Cover and simmer until thoroughly heated. Reduce to low setting to keep warm for serving.

Servings: 10

Note: If taking them to a potluck, mix the first two ingredients together in a sealable container. Brown the smokies and then refrigerate. Once at your destination, place all ingredients in crock-pot and cook on high until smokies are heated through. Reduce heat to low and serve.

These sound so much better than the franks my mother in law serves with some kind of grape jelly sauce. I never did like them. I am going to try this one.

jennmet

Retire Member
Easy Brie topper

3 tablespoons of strawberry jam (or any fruit jam)
hand full of almonds
maple syrup

Bake your brie for about 10mins with holes poked in the top!

Take the almonds and toast them lightly in a frying pan. Once toasted add in the jam and maple syrup, stir for a min and take off heat and drizzle over baked brie.

enjoy

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Chili Dip

1 (15 oz.) can chili
1 can tamales, mashed
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese
2 pods garlic, smashed
1 large onion, grated
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
dash of Tabasco

Mix chili and tamales in the top of a double boiler. Add all other ingredients. Stir occasionally until the cheese melts. Serve hot with corn or tortilla chips. This can be frozen for about 2 months.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Party Rolls – Original recipe is from Mrs. Dottie Rodgers

2 pkg. Pepperidge Farm rolls (I can’t find these any more, so I use either Cotton’s Biscuits or Hawaiian rolls in the 24 pack.)
½ lb. thinly sliced ham
½ lb. thinly sliced Swiss cheese
(or use whatever meat and cheese combination you like)
2 sticks butter
¼ cup Durkee sandwich spread or honey mustard
3 tbsp. poppy seeds
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp. minced onion (don’t leave this out. it makes all the difference in the taste.)

Slice rolls open horizontally. Remove the tops all in one piece. Put the rolls into a large pan. Layer the meat and then the cheese. Replace the tops. Use a sharp knife and cut the rolls apart from one another. For the Cotton’s biscuits and Hawaiian rolls, I half the roll, so they are smaller. Melt the butter, sandwich spread, poppy seeds, sugar, and onion together over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Spoon liquid over rolls. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve warm. Merry Christmas from Jane Ellerbe!

This is my #1 asked-for recipe above all others. PM me if you have a question!

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
Not sure how far you would want to make this a head of time but it is one of our favorites.

Shrimp Fantasies

1/2 lb. tiny cooked shrimp (I prefer the larger shrimp so I just chop them into smaller pieces)
1 cup mayonnaise
4 oz. swiss cheese shredded
1/3 cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (I will use dried if I don't have fresh just cut back on the amount)
dash of cayenne pepper
42 slices of petite rye

Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine ingredients with the exception of the rye bread. Top bread with the mixture and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Makes 42

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is a super easy and super addicting dip recipe. No leftovers - EVER :)

Sometimes know as Texas Trash, it is just a Warm Bean Dip:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
2 cans (16 ounces, each) refried beans
1 packet taco seasoning
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together cream cheese and sour cream in a large bowl. Mix in refried beans until combined. Stir in taco seasoning.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with both cheeses.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese in melted and slightly browned. Serve with tortilla chips.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tried out a new recipe this weekend with our Christmas dinner party in mind - we have a winner!

Blue Cheese Ball

http://www.thespiffycookie.com/2012/09/05/bleu-cheese-ball/

I am not a huge fan of overly strong blue cheese flavor, but DH loves it, so I tried this out. I actually loved it. The blue cheese wasn't too strong at all.

The basic thing I love about this recipe is that first ingredient - a stick of butter, baby!

I've been looking and looking for a cheeseball recipe that calls for butter with the cream cheese. So many are just cream cheese, shredded cheese and the seasonings/meat. I personally find the end result to be too thick to enjoy.

But that is probably because I was spoiled on cheeseballs with butter years ago when I used to buy overpriced mixes at the overpriced shops LOL The package called for butter as an optional ingredient to the dry mix + cream cheese and of COURSE I added the butter. Come on, it wasn't really a choice. Just. Instinct.

Those were the best cheese balls ever - got so many compliments.

So now that I've relearned the ratio of cheese to butter, I'll have to experiment with other flavor combinations. So much to look forward to! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: homemade4me

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tested another yummy appetizer and it was a hit!!!

Crab Rangoon Dip

http://www.recklessabandoncook.com/2011/03/crab-rangoon-dip.html

This was very good! In trying to make crab rangoons at home before I've never been happy with the results. It never tastes like the ones we get from our favorite Chinese place.

This dip was the closest match we've found! We were frying egg rolls that night anyway, so I just cut some extra egg roll wrappers into fourths and dropped them into the hot oil and they fried up a nice crisp brown within seconds. Drained them on paper towels and then used them as "chips" for the dip.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is one I forgot about and since I'm making it for a party this weekend I thought I'd add it to this thread! This one is a keeper! SO good!

Also very simple to make on a weeknight - especially if you already have the ground beef browned and in the freezer.

These are listed as "contest winning" and I can see why! DH can't get enough of these!

Beef Stuffed Crescents

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-beef-stuffed-crescents

FYI - If I make just for us - I use 1/3 to 1/2 lb ground beef, 4 oz green chiles, 4 oz cream cheese, keep the seasonings the same and use 1 can crescent rolls.

TIP: To get more mileage out of your crescent roll dough, after pulling apart the triangles, roll each one between two sheets of parchment or wax paper lightly spritzed with non stick cooking spray.

You'll get a larger area of dough to fill. It goes quickly and and I only have to re-spritz the papers every so often.

This does make the dough thinner so I have to be careful when rolling up. Honestly, mine end up looking like little odd shaped bundles. I'm just wrapping the filling as best I can to avoid oozing during baking.

Stella Bahl

Retire Member
Sep 23, 2016
UK
Christmas Caponata Recipe

This is one of the most colourful Italian Christmas recipes you’ll find and it’s sure to bring some Sicilian sunshine to your plate!

Ingredients: (http://blog.vorrei.co.uk/5-italian-christmas-recipes-you-will-love)
  • 250g almonds
  • 150g raisins
  • 100g of capers
  • 300g of green olives
  • 6 celery hearts
  • 1/2 cup of vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt
Method:

1. Cook the celery hearts in salted water, drain the water and lightly pan fry them.
2. Cut them into small pieces and place them in a pan with olive oil, along with the olives, capers and raisins. Cook for about 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl prepare the sweet and sour sauce with vinegar and sugar then add the toasted and ground almonds and toasted bread crumbs.
4. In a clean plate, arrange all the ingredients and sprinkle with almonds and raisins.

Serve cold.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Found this today - simple and healthy too (http://www.organicmominthekitchen.com/2016/09/berry-breakfast-bark.html)

Berry Breakfast Bark

You Will Need:

4 Organic Strawberries
1/2 Cup Organic Blueberries
1/2 Cup Organic Granola
4 tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
1 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt

Mix yogurt and maple syrup together

Pour onto parchment paper (unbleached of course) into an even layer

Sprinkle homemade granola on top of yogurt

Add berries

Cover with foil and freeze for two hours