What Are You Reading Right Now?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm currently reading Kristin Hanna's The Nightengale. Very good! I like all her books.

Just put this on hold at the library. Sounds like a big epic story - and I like epics to read over the holidays.

Right now I'm reading "The Short Drop" by Matthew FitzSimmons. It is a Kindle First so free this month on Amazon and I am really impressed with the writing so far - the author teaches literature and this is his first novel. (DS is doing NanoWrimo in school right now so I have an appreciation for new authors). So far it has a flavor of a mix of (old) Robert Ludlum, Girl with the Dragon Tatto, Jason Bourne and Jack Reacher. We'll see where he goes with it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, the library does not hold the 13th Gift but I can get it from the bookshop. Will see if I can get a copy.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Just put this on hold at the library. Sounds like a big epic story - and I like epics to read over the holidays.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as an "epic" in my own definition, but it does cover a couple generations using a kind of flashback approach. As I said, though, it's very good!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have fallen off the wagon with reading. I need to get back to the library and pick up some more books.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Let's see, since I was last here I have read:
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS
DEFENDING JACOB
THE DASH DIET ACTION PLAN
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALEX CROSS

I am currently reading
CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD
IF I STAY

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm reading "Teaching with Poverty in Mind". Very interesting stuff.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I have not finished IF I STAY yet, but I did begin & finish HOUSE OF SECRETS.
OMG!! This book is not for the faint of heart, that is all I have to say. It is a true story, which makes it all the more horrific.
I just think about how those children were treated & just want to tie the parents to a tree in the woods & cover them in honey & leave them there.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been re-reading my way through a series of books - the Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries - which are light reading for me, but entertaining. The hero lives in Regency London and solves crimes.

I'm on book 11 now and should finish soon.

I just ordered The Thornbirds from Amazon yesterday. Have never read it or seen the mini series and decided to give it a try :)

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Can I ask what the 13th gift is please? What sort of book would you class it as?

Lolwlias - I dont like stories like House Of Secrets but I find them hard to put down because I want to know the outcome is good eventually.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I am reading Uninvited by Lysa Tykerst and The Special Power of Restoring Lost Things by Courtney Elizabeth Mauk, which was free for Prime Members on Amazon. I also finished The Things We Wish Were True by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen.

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I am reading Leave Me by Gayle Forman. A Story about a woman who takes care of others but herself. Don't want to give too much away but so far I like it. jy

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Oh my! I can't believe how long it's been since I reported in to this thread. Here's a list of what I've read since then (November), with my 5 or less-star ratings:

• Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole *****
  • The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman ****
  • The Girls of August by Ann Rivers Siddons ***
  • My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante**
  • Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand*****
  • The Shoemaker’s Wife ****
  • Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller *****
  • What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
  • The Wind is Not a River by Brian Payton **** (beautiful writing)
  • What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman ****
  • The Walk by Richard Paul Evans ***
  • Home Front by Kristin Hannah ***
  • The Martian by Andy Weir ****
  • Dashing Through the Snow by Debbie Macomber * … romance-type

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD what a great list.

I finished You Can't Hide by Tina Renton, a girl who was raped by her stepfather during long years and finally got him to be persecuted after she had followed a Law degree. A true story. Hard but a good read.

Now I'm reading 'La vie pour vrai' de Nicole Houde... we get to see how a slightly 38 year old woman thinks, it really brings us back to what is important. Not sure it is translated in English though.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I can read Diana's Outlander series over and over. Once a year I read the series over again until about 3 years ago.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I finished Last One Home by Debbie Macomber and now I'm reading Christmas Bliss by Mary Kay Andrews and Happier at Home from the author of the Happiness Project. I'm rotating back and forth depending on my mood when I'm walking. I really like Mary Kay Andrews so I looked up her other books and realized that Fixer Upper I listened to on a road trip earlier this year was the same author. I enjoy the "southern charm" of the books. They make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.