When do you decorate for Halloween

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Good morning MHH friends....As a UK member i would like to hear when you guys start decorating for the spooky season....Here in the UK its normally the week of Halloween when folks start decorating.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Good morning, Frosty! I am in the Chicago suburbs and I'm setting out a few of my Halloween items as part of my Autumn decor. I have a variety of ceramic, fabric, and crocheted pumpkins that will stay out thru our Thanksgiving. But, in terms of exterior decor, our Home Owners Association rules and regulations allow holiday decorations no more than 30 days before and they have to be taken down within 30 days after the holiday Anyone doing elaborate displays will generally start Oct. 1. Most others put their decor out around Oct. 15. Hope this helps!

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Good morning, Frosty! I am in the Chicago suburbs and I'm setting out a few of my Halloween items as part of my Autumn decor. I have a variety of ceramic, fabric, and crocheted pumpkins that will stay out thru our Thanksgiving. But, in terms of exterior decor, our Home Owners Association rules and regulations allow holiday decorations no more than 30 days before and they have to be taken down within 30 days after the holiday Anyone doing elaborate displays will generally start Oct. 1. Most others put their decor out around Oct. 15. Hope this helps!
Wow interesting about your rules and regulations @Lori K .....I have ceramic halloween pieces i leave out all year round in my cabinet...

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Wow interesting about your rules and regulations @Lori K .....I have ceramic halloween pieces i leave out all year round in my cabinet...
I should have noted that I'm in a townhome/condo community, so all exterior areas are Association-owned, not by the unit owner.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I usually haul out the Fall Decor around Sept 1. I haven't yet this year. Fall Decor is Halloween, Thanksgiving, and all things autumn'ish. :) It stays up till Thanksgiving day. The day after will be fall put away and Christmas coming out! :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I like to get out fall decor in early October and have a few specifically Halloween items that I would put out mid-October, then switch to Thanksgiving theme for all of November, then, of course, Christmas from the first Sunday of Advent till Epiphany (January 6). It changes quickly through these seasons.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do the BIG Fall Decorating session beginning of September. Sometimes very first day - sometimes I wait a week or so. Like this year I just did the bulk of Fall decorations yesterday. I still need to put out decorations downstairs.

This is the only time I bring in the really tall ladder to decorate above kitchen cabinets/plant shelf, etc. in the main great room. All items I put there work for the whole Fall season.

October 1st or very first weekend in October I put out Halloween. This means swapping out wreaths and swags from Fall to Halloween, and swapping out items in easy to reach places.

Instead of a pumpkin on a bookshelf I'll put a battery operated light up Jack O 'Lantern, etc.

November 1st I take down the Halloween items and replace with either Thanksgiving themed items or I simply return what was there in September for a neutral Fall look.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am in a neighborhood that some people do a lot of decorating so it is started. I was just saying we need to start filling gloves if we are going to have 400 candy filled gloves filled for all the children this year. I figure we could do 10 a day right now.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I already started but need to finish. Hopefully by the end of this weekend the inside will be done. The battery in the riding mower dies so that needs to get replaced so the grass can get cut before we decorate the outside.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't usually celebrate Halloween here but it has become more popular over the last 5 years or so. We will not decorate but I did find a lovely "witches brew" candle in Kmart last week in a pumpkin scent. I could not resist it so it is now on my entry way table.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I more decorate for "Fall" as opposed to Halloween.
I have a couple of small pieces for Halloween.
Everything is out. Especially my office at work. Looks so cute!

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I decorate for fall on the third weekend of September and Halloween on the first weekend of October. I put up the Halloween decorations yesterday. They stay up until November 1st when I start replacing Halloween (jack-o-lanterns, creepy cats and crows) with Thanksgiving decorations like pumpkins, turkeys, the Mayflower boat picture, pilgrims and Native Americans.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am always fascinated with the swapping out of the holidays at this time of year. Where do you store all of the holiday decor?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I am always fascinated with the swapping out of the holidays at this time of year. Where do you store all of the holiday decor?
I have a large orange Rubbermaid tote for all of my Halloween and Autumn decor (and a green one for St. Patrick's Day decor). They get stowed on a shelf in my garage in the off-season. Each holiday where I decorate gets one bin, except Christmas that has several -- one dedicated to linen goods, one for serving pieces and more fragile decor, and two for ornaments, garland, etc. My outdoor garland and bows have a separate bin.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I also store items in totes that are stored in the garage. I have one for Fall and many for Christmas/Winter due to the size of my home and love of Christmas. (hope to pare down after decorating.
Other holiday items store nicely in a drawer in my DGM secretary that I inherited.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All my bins were in the attic before and it was quite a job getting them down to the garage, then down to the basement and up to the LR.... this is why I am decluttering in the house. NOw all my Christmas is in the basement and most Halloween (still have some stuff in the attic I need to get down and go through). For other decor (st-pat's, easter, Fall, Valentine's day, spring, winter... they are small boxes in the basement closet).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW. I have a very small tote that I store 'seasonal" items. NYE and Easter I have stored in there as well as a few Winter items. I have 4 quite large totes of Christmas in the garage. I enjoy looking at all the seasonal decorating on YouTube etc but it is just not something that we do here very much at all.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul