Logging In

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
I am having trouble a couple of time in a day with logging in. It will tell me that I have tried to log in before and my number of attempts have been exceeded. Wait 15 minutes before I try again.

I tried this early this morning from another computer too and it said the same thing! I couldn't post about it until I could get back in. Anyone have any ideas why sometimes I can get in and other times I can't?

Nutcracker

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Nutcracker - It appears to be happening to most of us at one time or another. Ginger is aware of it so keep trying - you'll eventually get in!

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
This issue is related to your password. Your password is case sensitive and if you don't enter it EXACTLY as you did when you registered, it won't let you in. If you make five attempts and don't get it, you get locked out.

This has no bearing on the time of day or computer that you are on. It is a necessary security component.

The reason this is done is because computer bots will hit the board constantly trying to get into any member account so that they can post spam. It is a big, big problem for sites of this type. With four forums like this one, we deal with the issue on a daily basis.

Thus the measure. It isn't there to aggravate you, it is to protect the board.

This kind of thing usually happens when you log in and check the "remember me" box -- meaning that the site will remember who you are on the computer you originally log in from. If it is the same computer and you come by nearly every day, you could go a long time without ever having to remember your password.

So if you clear your browser cache or try to get in via another computer it is possible, because you HAVEN"T had to use your password for a long time, that you input it slightly off from what it really is, you try five times and it locks you out.

I'm guessing this is what happened in this case. I would recommend that you go to your User Control Panel and reset your password and make a note of it somewhere so you don't run into the same problem down the road.

Jeff

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Hi Jeff - I hear what you are saying, but I think that there is another type of glitch somewhere. I can enter my information one time and get in and then get to work and try and get bumped out when I specifically know that I typed everything correctly and methodically. It's happening too frequently to too many of us to be a random lock of pass word. Thanks for reminding us though to be aware of case sensitivity and such!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I agree with Kim.

I will try to log on typing in my username and password and it automatically tells me that I have attempted 5 times and am now logged out and to try back in 15 minutes.

First off - if that is my first attempt to log in why do I not get 4 more attempts before I get locked out for 15 minutes.

Second - it takes a lot longer than 15 minutes before it will let me try again. Sometimes it takes hours before I can try again.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Thank you for the reminder Jeff, and this definitely is an issue for me on a website where my husband chose all caps for a password. In this case though, I do think there is a glitch somewhere. I too, have gotten locked out after my first attempt. I tend to choose both my user name and password deliberately with no capitals, to make it easier for remembering. When I couldn't sign in today, I did double check to see that I was typing in lower case in case someone else had the caps lock on, but I had typed everything correctly. I was able to sign in on my fourth attempt this morning (about 1/2 hour) but my first attempt tonight.
I want to thank you for all your time in helping with this site. :)

rjsmum

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
North Carolina
It's taken me 5 days of trying but I have managed to get logged back on! Same thing, I have exceeded my 5 times (after 1) and "incorrect password" after copy/paste of the new password sent to me. Oh well, the holiday hustle and bustle;)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yes, me too. I never use the "remember me" button. I don't know why but I always type the whole thing out.

I will add that I have not had a problem yet today.

I appreciate all you do to keep the boards safe, Jeff.

Annie

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi guys

This was happening to me yesterday - I couldn't log on at all!

I'm glad I found this thread though... I was worried my account had been hacked!