January 7th-13th 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
First 'real' week of January. This is the week where I try and get back into some sort of routine. Back to work 2 days a week and first grocery shopping day of the year. I still have a lot of organising to do but am happy with how the first weeks of the year are looking.
I feel like it has been months since we were celebrating Christmas, has it really only been 2 weeks?

Daily:
Water throughout day.
Clean kitchen and DW on before bed.
Moisturise, brush teeth, lip balm, hand cream
Read and sleep at reasonable time/schedule no tech nights

Weekly/Fortnightly:
*washing /fold washing(X)( )
*vacuum floors (X)
*clean bathrooms (X)(X)
*general tidy up/household maintenance (X)
*clean fridge/freezers (X)(X)
*tidy pantry/stockpile (X)(X)
*meal planning (X) Tidied the pantry and my recipes and added ideas to the meal plan.
*shopping list (fortnightly) (X) grocery shopping (fortnightly) (X)...remember to take water (X)

January goals:
*Target savings in bank ( ) Need to focus on this, there are a lot of expenses at the beginning of the year.
*Choose 10 goals/areas of improvement for 2024 (X)
*Mini room maintenance January Loungeroom ( ), Kitchen (X), Bedroom ( ) and Bathrooms (X)
*Lunch with friends January 24th ( )Postponed until February
*Australia Day celebrations January 26th ( ) have started planning a bbq at our house
*DD, DSIL and my birthdays are in January. Celebrate ( )

Extras:
Fun/Christmas prep:

*tidy/rearrange gift closet(X)
*update planner (X)
*do something that is just for me ( )
*read. The goal this year is 10 books ( )Started the first of the year
*start/continue/finish one craft project (X) Started Mum's towel edge.
*continue looking for stocking fillers, gifts and supplies ( ) Will start buying items for stockings and Christmas baking and meals

This week:

*Connect with family via phone, email or text (X) text friend and arrange a lunch (X)
*Cancel doctors appt for Friday (X)
*Work Monday and Tuesday (X)
*Text friend for her birthday Wednesday (X)
*Groceries with Mum Thursday (X)
*Lunch with former CW Friday (X)
*Day trip to farm Saturday (/) I decided to stay at home.

5 small chores:
*Empty and tidy pantry (X)
*Declutter recipe binder...add new recipes to menu plan (X)
*Tidy medicine cupboard (X) Add requirements to planner ( )
*Send DrillDance hand book to printers (X) pick up (X)
*Deep clean fridge (X)
*Deep clean stockpile (X)
*Write an ideas list for shopping next week (X) started

Word of the Year 2024: Value

Last edited:
Reactions: jampss and halimer

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Put stickers in my calendar for the Flylady Zones. She will tell me what to do each day.
  • Your comment just reminded me that my 1st priority is to get my control journal out and start using it again this week. You'd think that after all these years, if I don't have it in front of me, I'd still do my daily task...but I don't. So it's coming out again. I told my daughter recently that the digital formats just don't work for me, so I'm going back to basics and pulling out my flylady inspired control journal.
  • My second goal this week is to get Christmas inside all packed up. That's 2 trees and decor in my bedroom, living room, and basement.
  • Call and get all my drs appts in order. I have several I need to make, and a couple I need to reschedule.
  • Last, but not least 'm putting this on my list because it's a big milestone and the biggest priority this week. Monday morning I'm waking up, heading to the hospital and getting this feeding tube removed from my stomach. I'll get twilight sedation, so I shouldn't be too out of it the rest of the day to tackle some of these other things on my list. Maybe Monday afternoon I'll celebrate by watching another Christmas movie on TV and wrapping up some ornaments.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, welcome.
I am so glad that you are with us.
I bet you looking forward to Monday morning. A huge thing to have done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Michelle, great to see you here! It's a wonderful place for accountability and encouragement along the way.
Hi Deirdre! :)
Katrina, you are off to a good start!

The final quarter of 2023 was not the look or feel that I wanted. This is my first three day work week of the new year. I've found that I thrive best when I can be available as needed to family the other two days.

These next few weeks are weeks of adjusting schedules and expectations as goals are implemented. I'm already tweaking some things after last week. With my 2024 goal to complete things, I'm trying to set realistic expecations, one step at a time. That worked wonders for me in 2023.

I found that spending 6 weeks developing one new habit at a time was the secret of my success. Once that habit was ingrained, I started a new habit while maintaining the "old" habit. I continued this through out the year.

New Habit: My goal until February 10th is to research 15 minutes daily or the equivalent of that in a week.

Daily:
  • Exercise
  • Prayer
  • Calendar Review of Appointments/Meetings
  • Do 15 minutes of daily genealogical research.
  • Coffee Prep for the next day
  • Lunch Prep for the next day
  • Breakfast Prep for the next day

Weekly:
  • Outfit Planning for this week
  • Menu Planning for this week
  • Meal Prep for this week
  • Dust/Vacuum/Mop
  • Bills
  • Laundry
  • Groceries
  • Continue reading book this week [4 weeks to complete]
  • Answer one autobiographical question this week.
  • Identify one incomplete craft project or one project waiting to be started and estimate time needed to complete.
  • End of Last Week Reflection

Monthly: Mudroom, Office & Laundry area
  • Sweep.
  • Dust.
  • Wipe down the washer and dryer.
  • Empty Trash can.
  • Declutter for 15 minutes.
  • Make “Spruce Up” list.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is my first three day work week of the new year.
Mary, were you working 3 days last year or is this new? I always thought that you worked full time.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I did okay with the first week of January, heading back to work and such. I need to get better at drinking water at work. It takes me quite some time to finish the coffee I take to work and then I switch to my water, I need to be faster with the coffee and switch to water earlier. I also did not do any of the self-care stuff like foot cream or face washing regularly. I need to get that down this week.

I am most proud that I have stuck with this 30 day Yoga challenge so far! I have completed every single day! I have never done yoga this long because it's never been my thing. But I do have to say that I am really enjoying it this time.

Daily:
Water- Try to at least drink my 30oz tumbler during the week at work
Meds- Take all my meds; sometimes I forget two of my morning pills because I need to take them after I eat and i'm already at school
Moisturize twice a day- a.m. and p.m.
Foot cream before bed
Face wash a.m. and p.m.

Weekly:
Wash sheets
Clean bathrooms
Run coffee pot through dishwasher
Meal planning/grocery shopping- DONE
Vacuum stairs/carpeted floors

January Dates of Importance:
Whitetail Banquet- January 6th- DONE
Hair appt- January 18th
Work Christmas party- January 19th (need to get an ornament for exchange)
Dental cleanings- January 25th
Mom's Birthday- January 31st

January Goals:
Read at least 1 book- DONE
Go through my clothing and purge
Go with DD to her Presidential Scholarship luncheon and interview (for support)
Help with the cooking at least 2 times a week
Start and be consistent with Yoga with Adriene challenge- 12 days so far!
Start working on cutting sugar- Trying!

Extras:
Finish book i'm reading- DONE
Bake something- DONE (muffins)
Find a cheap/free way to surprise and delight my class

This week:
Take down Christmas- (DONE)
Make ahead breakfast for work: overnight oats, breakfast sandwich
Potential snow days- Make sure vehicles are ready for an emergency (blankets, snacks, water, snow brush/scraper, container of salt...)
Drop bags of clothes in charity bin
If we get snow days- purge my side of closet (if 2nd snow day- clean up guest room)

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I appreciate the accountability here!!

Currently, I’m at my sister’s as yesterday we were wedding dress shopping for my niece! She said yes to the dress! And so tomorrow morning I will be back home and take a look at last week’s goals!

Good job everyone!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Daily:
Exercise & Water (XXXXX)
Bullet Coffee (XXXXXXX)
Watch The Bible Recap on YT; Prayer Journal & Devotional (XXXXXX)
Calendar Review of Appointments / Email / MHH (XXXXX)
Read / Watch News (XXXXX)
Dinner Prep (XXXX)
Listen to Audio Book (XXXXXXX)
Review / Edit one Etsy Listing ()
Crochet for Fun / Ministry (X)

Weekly:
Jumpstart Cleaning Plan area ()
Menu Planning (X)
Groceries / Meal Prep (X)
Clean Bathroom / Dust / Vacuum / Mop / Laundry (XXXX)
Bills (X)
Online History Class ()
Post FB / IG for Etsy (X)
Work on Etsy Crochet Item ()
Water Garden ()
Errands (XX)

Monthly:
Check Pantry / Freezer / Refrigerator (X)
Upcoming Holidays / Birthdays: Need Cards / Gifts (X)
Etsy Shop Sales / Expenses (X)
Check Subscriptions Tracker Sheet / Supplements (X)
Weight Check (X)
Norwex Rewards Club Monthly Order ()
Work on Christmas 2024 Crochet Gifts ()
19th Celebrate Me Day ()
House To Do List ()

Quarterly/Seasonal Goals:
Clean inside Windows / Sils ()
De-clutter Areas & Donate (X)

DEC JAN FEB - WINTER
Mulch Over the Garden ()
Word of the Year (X)
Meal Plan for Christmas / NYE / Baking (X)
Decorate for Christmas (X)
De-decorate Christmas ()
Start Jumpstart January Cleaning (X)

MAR APR MAY - SPRING
Garden Prep for Spring ()
Check Smoke Detector Battery / Test Carbon Monoxide Alarm ()
Meal Plan for Easter ()
Decorate for Spring ()

JUN JUL AUG - SUMMER
MHH Christmas in July ()

SEPT OCT NOV - AUTUMN
Garden Prep for Fall ()
Meal Plan for Thanksgiving / Baking ()
Decorate for Fall ()
Check Points on Apps for Rewards / Gift Cards ()

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Currently, I’m at my sister’s as yesterday we were wedding dress shopping for my niece!
A wedding...how exciting. When is your niece getting married?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oct 18!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, were you working 3 days last year or is this new? I always thought that you worked full time.
Schedules got changed around at the end of November when a new person was hired. Teachers weren't getting a lunch break because no one was able to cover us. I could share my lunch break (20 minutes for me an 20 minutes for another teacher) at 1:15 pm when the children were resting but it wasn't possible for the other teachers. There are now three full time teachers and 4 part time teachers. 2 part timers work with 3 year olds. 2 part timers work with 4 year olds. I am one of the 2part timers that work with 4 yr. olds. I work 3 days a week and the other teacher works 2 days a week. The idea is, when necessary, one of us can come in to cover the other if there are medical appointments, illnesses, vacations, etc. (We are responsible for finding our own substitutes.)

I am much happier with the "idea" of a three day work week. I've struggled with losing flexibilty for appointments, lunch meetings, etc. from working at home to working outside the home. The education field isn't as flexible as the business field. I say "idea" because as it turned out, I was asked Monday morning to work 4 days this week instead of 3 to cover a teacher who had a funeral. It seems like every time I think I have a three day week, someone needs coverage.

After this week, I've decided that every meeting with a family member needs to be put on the calendar so my days don't get eaten up with work again. I had planned to spend time with my dds on my first day off before they leave for college this weekend but it wasn't on my calendar so I said yes. I didn't remember until I got home on Monday. I'm seeing that my parents, aunts, and uncles are aging and getting sick more often. I want to make sure that I am available to them. They have done so much for all of us, it is the least that I can do for them.

After doing the HHP in the fall, I realized this week that I need a detailed list of things I want to complete for 2024. I was so exhausted from making decisions all day long that when I got home these last two weeks, I did nothing. I need a detailed plan of action to get things done.

I need to get better at drinking water at work. It takes me quite some time to finish the coffee I take to work and then I switch to my water, I need to be faster with the coffee and switch to water earlier.
Not sure this would work but I drink a cup of coffee at home and drink only water at work. I make an extra cup of coffee in the morning for a quick afternoon pick me up when I get back home.

I am most proud that I have stuck with this 30 day Yoga challenge so far! I have completed every single day! I have never done yoga this long because it's never been my thing. But I do have to say that I am really enjoying it this time.
That's great to hear! Keep up the good work!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I say "idea" because as it turned out, I was asked Monday morning to work 4 days this week instead of 3 to cover a teacher who had a funeral. It seems like every time I think I have a three day week, someone needs coverage.
This is what was happening with me from about September to December last year. One CW was diagnosed with breast cancer so I covered her days. I always seemed to be covering for some one and was so frustrated that I could not get my work done here.

I hope that the 3 days a week settles into a lovely routine and that the year ahead is a lot less stressful for you.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This is what was happening with me from about September to December last year. One CW was diagnosed with breast cancer so I covered her days. I always seemed to be covering for some one and was so frustrated that I could not get my work done here.

I hope that the 3 days a week settles into a lovely routine and that the year ahead is a lot less stressful for you.
Just wondering do you work summer months too? Are you at a preschool or a day care?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Just wondering do you work summer months too? Are you at a preschool or a day care?
This job is at an elementary school (3 yr. olds through 8th grade). We go from mid-August to mid- June with July completely off.