Crafting plans for 2024.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing OK so far this year. Finished the towel and face washer for Mum and they are in the gift closet. Finished a small quilt for DD and have given it to her. She loves it.
Am working on a babies cardigan, I have nearly finished knitting the back.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Years ago I bought stockings for DS and DDs. Since then, I've made a stocking for each added immediate family member. Every year I say I'm going to make them a stocking to replace the store bought one. It takes less then an hour for each one. This should be a goal for this year.
I think that is such a nice idea. Do you make the entire stocking or do you get a plain one and spruce it up?

I have serious crafter's envy reading through all the posts. I'm a wannabe crafter - I'd love to get stuck in with crafting, however I always hesitate to try because of the initial cost of buying supplies. I never know if I'll enjoy it enough to stick to it.

The only thing on my list for this year is to make a container of some kind for our advent bags.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have serious crafter's envy reading through all the posts. I'm a wannabe crafter - I'd love to get stuck in with crafting, however I always hesitate to try because of the initial cost of buying supplies. I never know if I'll enjoy it enough to stick to it.
What crafts would you like to do?
There are many Facebook groups that sell or gift craft supplies. Google free pages and see what you can find.
Also look at workshops. Some workshops are quite inexpensive and they give you a starter kit of supplies to complete one project. You will then know if the craft is for you.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I buy the bulk of my craft supplies at thrift shops and yard sales. Dollar tree is a good place to buy supplies and using coupons at Joanne’s and Michaels. Don’t be afraid to recycle things that you might have at home.
I second taking classes, they are a good way to give something a try. You tube is a great place to get started too. There are many inexpensive craft ideas posted, especially using dollar tree items.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I had been wanting to try diamond art painting and found a child's kit to try. I liked it but am not ready to take on a larger piece just yet. Perhaps you could try a small project.

There are a couple of other older crafts that I have done and would like to do them again since I do have what is needed for them.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A young teen girl in our crochet group took it up during Covid and taught herself to crochet using YouTube videos. She started with Amigurumi (small stuffed animals/creatures) and has since graduated to hats and purses and the like. You can often find yarn at thrift stores, and some big-box craft stores have good prices (and coupons) on sale yarn. Start small, with a very easy project and learn a couple of stitches at a time. Crochet and knitting patterns are available online; I've found numerous very easy (and free) patterns on Ravelry.com, where you can select your method (i.e. crochet, knitting, etc.), skill level, and whether or not you're willing to pay for the pattern. And, you can also filter by amount of yarn you have and even the yarn weight.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
For my card making I have over the years purchased stamps, cards/envelopes, paper pads and even some nice stickers among other things from the dollar stores. Every time I go into the dollar store for whatever reason I also hit the craft section. Sometimes they have other craft items in there as well. I have seen cross stitch mini kits, yarn/needles/crochet hooks etc.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
@sweetpumkinpye - I looked at workshops following your suggestion, and they do a crochet one (with a starter kit!). Thank you for the help.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions; I would not have thought to look at thrift stores etc, so I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I go by.

I'm especially interested in sewing/crochet, although I'll try my hand at anything!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
@sweetpumkinpye - I looked at workshops following your suggestion, and they do a crochet one (with a starter kit!). Thank you for the help.
That's fabulous. Let us know how you go with it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think that is such a nice idea. Do you make the entire stocking or do you get a plain one and spruce it up?

The only thing on my list for this year is to make a container of some kind for our advent bags.
I used the store-bought stocking to make a pattern. I buy the fabric and make the stocking.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
If you are interested in sewing many of the quilt shops that sell machines have all kinds of sewing classes beyond quilts that include a machine rental.
Joanns did have In person sewing and crochet classes, not sure if they do now or not.
Checkout the sewing expos if you have them coming to your area. Cleveland has one in April. They have all types of sewing classes. There are also yarn/crochet/ knitting expos, there was one in Columbus a few years back.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Looking at where I’m at accomplishing my list:
Finish the ornaments for ornament exchange and gifts- Done
Make all the holiday cards- Easter and Thanksgiving done.
Finish quilt currently in the works- needs quilted.
Make the quilts for our friends (Christmas gifts)- Collecting fabrics and waiting on 1 pattern to arrive.
Make the rug kits (Christmas gifts)- Done
Finish cat paper piecing quilt
Make the purse/ wallet that is already cut out
Make all the ornament girl kits that have accumulated
3 photo ornaments for Christmas- 2 done

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, you are just amazing. So organised!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul